Cheery's country living adventure

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2.3K replies 172.3K views

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic, Cheery - thats got to feel really good :)
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • edited 28 December 2018 at 3:55PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 December 2018 at 3:55PM
    Well done on the over payment Cheery. It really does start to make a difference and will encourage you to continue being frugal with those pennies. We have been and done exactly as you are doing and now mortgage free it has really made such a difference. You keep going Cheery it will be so worth it in years to come.

You talking of having a lot of eggs, on my hen thread, have you thought about making a nice egg and tomato curry? Freezes well which is a bonus as you can make it in a huge batch. Not sure if I mentioned it on here before. Lots of onions, courgettes, green beans and any other veg you have going spare. Just add halved boiled eggs, curry spices, fresh tomatoes and tomato puree. Eggs are slightly harder once they have been frozen but still makes a nice ready supper if you are busy. Could put in a handful of lentils too to make it go further.

I must say I do love your enthusiasm cheery it really is quite infectious. Keep up the good work.

Oh and I nearly forgot, we are not so eggless now cos got another one today :cool: Almost have enough for an huge omelette.

Edwink
    *3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    *Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating
    *2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - Hybrid Toyota Auris car
    1 Cayuga duck Hoppy & 22 ex-battery hens - RIP Pingu
    Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you lovely people :kisses3: Glad you finally have enough eggs for an omelette edwink! :j :j :j

We have a grand total of THREE here at the minute - largely because we have given away SIX BOXES to family this week :eek: :eek: I confess the last box only had 5 in as one of the ladies laid a soft shelled one that had broken before I got it out of the coop on the final day... BUt still, being able to give away 29 at Christmas isn't too bad :j

Mr Cheery spray painted the egg boxes gold :rotfl: :rotfl:

We are having a nice quiet new years eve so I thought I'd do a bit of a round up :):) Perhaps a new post...
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Review of 2018

Some cheerful things
    * We finally moved house!! After 3 years of planning, decorating, going slightly potty :j :j
    * We got married :j Didn't tell anyone beforehand except 2 witnesses (and then only the day before) and mostly only told people in person. About time I fessed up on here :o :rotfl: :rotfl: All very MSE of course :money:
    * We got rescue chickens :j
    * I took on a new role at work and think I did a pretty good job :D No extra dosh for doing it (but it's part of a longer term plan) and I shall be handing it back to its rightful owner in a couple of weeks :j

So overall a pretty cheerful year! :j

Some less cheerful things
    * We've had some pretty gloomy family stuff happening the last couple of years which has escalated this year and things are all rather odd
    * My older pal/mentor/all round cheerful and good and kind soul died yesterday :(

Some numbers...
    * We took on a mortgage of £215,000 :eek: :eek: We're now down to around £208,000 I believe :j
    * We overpaid by £1200 this year and are aiming to do the same (and hopefully more!) next year
    * Apparently we spent a total of £13,299 on monthly and annual bills
    * We spent £1678 on diesel :eek:
    * We spent £2259 on food and household (and very likely more than that) :eek:
    * We spent £1300 on car maintenance :eek: :eek:

Yeah, enough numbers I think :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some goals for 2019

* Overpay mortgage by at least £1200
    * Finish and pay for upstairs floors to be fixed
    * Make sure we have 6 months worth of dosh stashed in emergency fund by the end of the year (we're not too far off now, but the floors will take a cut of that so I want to build it back up)
    * Grow lots of our own food!

Nothing drastic :o I work full time and our long term plan is for me to be excellent and be promoted into a nice payrise :rotfl: Seems far more a sensible plan than messing about with surveys etc for now (although I do still do Prolific and secret surveys when they send them, which they haven't for ages)

Lots of non-money goals of course :D But I'll spare you my waffling :o :rotfl:

Hope you all have the evening you would like and a happy and healthy 2019 xxx
  • edited 31 December 2018 at 9:51PM
    Greying_PilgrimGreying_Pilgrim Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 December 2018 at 9:51PM
    .........largely because we have given away SIX BOXES to family this week......

Mr Cheery spray painted the egg boxes gold :rotfl: :rotfl:

I love that - it's like being in an episode of 'The Good Life' :rotfl::rotfl:

Review of 2018

Some cheerful things

* We got married :j Didn't tell anyone beforehand except 2 witnesses (and then only the day before) and mostly only told people in person. About time I fessed up on here :o :rotfl: :rotfl: All very MSE of course :money:

YAY! for making an honest fella of Mr Cheery!! Whoot, whoot - congratulations to you BOTH :love:

Review of 2018

Some less cheerful things

* My older pal/mentor/all round cheerful and good and kind soul died yesterday :(

Sorry to hear that Cheery :(

Hope 2019 is a corker for you and Mr Cheery.

Greying XX
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
  • edited 31 December 2018 at 11:16PM
    rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 December 2018 at 11:16PM
    ...We got married :j Didn't tell anyone beforehand except 2 witnesses (and then only the day before) and mostly only told people in person. About time I fessed up on here :o :rotfl: :rotfl: ...

Wow Cheery - Congratulations to you both! - such a giggle that you are "fessing up"!
    xox :D
    3.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :rotfl: :rotfl: you lot :rotfl: :rotfl:

It was months ago now, end of March. We booked it in the final weeks of buying the house when we were sick of things being put off abd wanted something we could control :rotfl: :rotfl: It was just us two and two pals, ceremony was about five minutes, then we went to a cafe for lunch and then went home to tell our parents :rotfl: Mr Cheery didn't want it on @rsebook so some people we haven't seen still don't know :o

But very MSE :money: Cost of the ceremony (is that about £70, can't remember) plus rings, plus my charity shop dress (which I regularly wear for smart work things now :rotfl: ) plus lunch came to less than £250 I think so should be covered by the first year of married person's tax allowance :money: :rotfl:
  • WannabeFreeWannabeFree Forumite
    4.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Mrs Cheery ;)

Happy new year :D

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Fortune_SmilesFortune_Smiles Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Cheery and a very Happy New Year to you.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 20% paid Overpayments 2020: 2771.71 Emergency Fund: 97% Tittervating Pot: 32.34

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein