Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Prepping for Brexit thread - Page 104

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 493.5K views

Replies

• cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    But at least they are finally starting to take the chance of a no deal seriously so that can’t be bad Mrs LW
    It’s been quite peaceful over the Xmas period with no MPs arguing but I know it can’t last.
    Never mind. We’ll just have to make the most of it.
    Cuddles
    January NST 2/16
  • edited 29 December 2018 at 2:02PM
    pennystretcherpennystretcher Forumite
    458 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    edited 29 December 2018 at 2:02PM
    To get back to the point of the thread - prepping for Brexit in case of a no deal..

I have started building up enough stock to last me couple of months. Just in case the delays at ports will disrupt supplies. Stocking up on anything that I normally buy and is produced in EU (outwith UK).

Loo roll, tomatoes, coffee, chocolate, tomatoes etc. :)

I still hope that we'll get a deal, but just in case I don't think prep is a bad idea.. If we get a deal, I'll just have to use up the stockpile I've build up and in progress will spend less on food while I use up most of the stock. Will keep enough in stock to keep me going for few weeks in case of "snowmageddon" or in case I fall ill and can't leave the house.
  • edited 29 December 2018 at 1:08PM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 December 2018 at 1:08PM
    News on the TV this morning was saying that the government has plans to charter many ferries to bring goods into the UK to many different ports around our coastline in the eventuality of a No Deal Brexit to try to avoid congestion in the main importing ports that deal with the majority of goods imported now. That doesn't seem a daft idea but will undoubtedly cause greater lorry traffic in areas that aren't used to it and may cause problems on smaller roads from smaller ports.

That is a good idea for once on their part.

I'll volunteer the West Wales ferry ports - ie Fishguard and Pembroke Dock - for that one then - as a temporary measure. Provided, obviously, that it's shared out between all the ferry ports in our country (England, Scotland, Wales).

I think the roads here will cope with a few extra lorries - I've yet to get involved in a traffic jam anywhere in this area - so we can handle it as a temporary measure to help out the whole of our country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It's a matter of prepping with the right things for the anticipated situation in mind. I don't prep for Armageddon or anything approaching it, just to have a buffer of things I use on an everyday basis anyway that I know will be used up if the thing I've in mind as a problem turns out not to be one. An investment in a waterproof coat and good sturdy shoes is sensible for our lifestyle and means that if what I'm currently wearing break/wear out/etc I've the means to stay dry, if for any reason we do get power cuts (we live in a pretty rural place so the supply is always flickering anyway) the firewood keeps us warm and the solar lamps give us light for free and the wind up radio means we are entertained. If we get snow as we're told often happens and the roads are shut well we eat, we stay warm and we stay safe, it's only common sense isn't it?
  • marybmaryb Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was something in the paper yesterday saying that the Met Office think there might be another Beast from the East in January because there has been another Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event. I intend to treat that risk as a dress rehearsal and see if I would be able to get through a couple of weeks of disruption relatively comfortably
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been getting in extra stores since the autumn, as I felt that a no deal Brexit was going to be the likely outcome, and, unless there's a sudden outbreak of sanity, it's looking increasingly likely that it'll be 'no deal', and all the potential for chaos that the overnight ripping up 40 odd years worth of treaties and agreements will cause.

It all seems a bit crazy to me that the country has to go into disaster contingency planning mode for something we are inflicting on ourselves, but, hey, Willo The People and all that!! :(
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Absolutely right, it has to be Remainers who caused all the problems.

In a democratic country everyone who lost a vote should shut up, agree that the course of action chosen by a tiny majority is 100% right for everyone in the country for the future. No-one should be allowed to argue with the majority, ever, under any circumstances. To do so is utterly, utterly disgraceful. England and Wales voted Leave so Northern Ireland and Scotland should just lump it.

It doesn't matter at all if we have problems with importing the 40% of food we need, or medicines. It's absolutely fine if people die because lifesaving drugs aren't available - because the majority of people actively want this to happen and any casualties are a price worth paying.

Theresa May, David Davis, Dominic Raab and Stephen Barclay haven't put a foot wrong; they've been undermined by sore, lying losers from Day One.

The big problem is it's taken two and a half years to negotiate a deal with the nasty, mean EU who wanted to teach us a lesson. How unkind of them.

But it doesn't matter. At some point in the future when we've left the EU, our non-existent team of international trade negotiators will appear out of nowhere and start making new trade deals with every other country on the planet at the same time as they're negotiating a trade deal with the EU. They'll be fantastic - even better than the free trade deal with have right now.

It'll all be back to normal in no time at all.

In the meantime, all Preppers will be all right, Jack.

Excellent post - I may paraphrase some of it for another forum that I belong to. :)
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • machasravenmachasraven Forumite
    44 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    To me for many people Brexit has made them panic as their always on demand lifestyle could possibly be threatened. I do feel sad that we for so long have had an isolated existence of everything is there in plenty and all people need to do is to go to their supermarket and voila whatever food you want is there. In this people have completely disassociated themselves from where items come from. It is easy to condemn child labour and deforestion when you have everything at your fingertips.
    Yes for a short time there could be problems with medications and other things but down the line if we become more self sufficient and aware of where items and food come from then it is a good thing as hopefully we will not have this society of waste.
    “HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM. (Death)” - Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Mr_SingletonMr_Singleton Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    News on the TV this morning was saying that the government has plans to charter many ferries to bring goods into the UK to many different ports around our coastline in the eventuality of a No Deal Brexit to try to avoid congestion.

Yes, now confirmed! The Govt. is paying a French & Dutch company €102 million to charter ferries. Now with the 15 mile lorry park that’s being created on th M20 in Kent to hold the lorries pending customs checks etc it’s good to know that in 21st century Britain we’re stock piling food and medicines and have the army on standby for civil unrest.

That’ll show Johnnie Foreigner who’s boss.... makes you proud to be British :doh:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Could I just register that I am about as far from panic as it's possible to get? what I am doing is putting in futures to ensure that during the first few months after the dreaded Brexit happens we can have life as much as normal as it's possible to do. Our everyday life is pretty simple anyway and we're not into takeaways or lots of goings out so as long as we can stay warm, have many cups of tea and eat simple home cooked meals (we actually LIKE beans on toast!) we'll be content. I shall raid the charity shops here for some new books to read, we'll carry on planting up the allotment as normal and keep a low profile as we always do. I see nothing to panic about if you can get organised before it happens and be contented with less than you expect to have in the normal run of things.