Forum Home » Savings & Investments

passive investing - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

passive investing

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
109 replies 11.7K views

Replies

• edited 24 December 2018 at 5:44PM
    buyhighselllowbuyhighselllow Forumite
    172 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 24 December 2018 at 5:44PM
    Alexland wrote: »
    This is a 90% developed world and 10% emerging market equity mix which is significantly above your stated 25% tollerance for loss so I am unclear why buyhighselllow suggested it to you.

Alex

Given he intends to hold these for at least 10-15 years I think the suggestion is ideal. How you can project what % a fund will only drop too is beyond me. Keep investing simple, as this guy says, you cannot beat or predict the market. If you wan't growth you need some risk. It also depends how much he intends to keep in cash or bonds as the low risk element of his holdings, personally I prefer mainly cash.

https://www.kroijer.com/
    Over £2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016 :beer:
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    101.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Given he intends to hold these for at least 10-15 years I think the suggestion is ideal.

As Alexland says, it is way above the stated risk tolerance.
    How you can project what % a fund will only drop too is beyond me.
    You can pretty much get accuracy to within 95% of events.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Given he intends to hold these for at least 10-15 years I think the suggestion is ideal. How you can project what % a fund will only drop too is beyond me. Keep investing simple, as this guy says, you cannot beat or predict the market. If you wan't growth you need some risk. It also depends how much he intends to keep in cash or bonds as the low risk element of his holdings, personally I prefer mainly cash.

https://www.kroijer.com/

Yea keeping the funds locked away isn't a problem am i right in assuming this is pure Equity no bonds in there at all?
    'Save £1,100 in 2019' #81

£50/£1100
  • dunstonh wrote: »

Cheers guys seems the ideal is a VG80 which I scale back in my 50's

£50/£1100
  • DrSyn wrote: »
    You mentioned passive investing, so these might of interest to you:

http://www.kroijer.com/

looking at this now thanks

£50/£1100
  • bradqwer wrote: »
    Yea keeping the funds locked away isn't a problem am i right in assuming this is pure Equity no bonds in there at all?

Correct, I don't really buy into the Bond thing. I prefer cash in savings fixed or rotated through savings/regular savings as the " "secure" part of my holdings.
  • DrSynDrSyn Forumite
    825 posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    bradqwer wrote: »
    Could you please let me know what the VEVE/VFEM stand for so I can look at said funds

These are EPIC codes (short hand) for the shares you are interested in.

If you type VEVE into the search box on the HL website and hit return, you get info about the company.

If you google Vanguard VFEM, that wil also lead you to info on the company.

These short hand codes save a lot of typing

You cannot predict, beat or time the market 99% of the time
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    101.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You cannot predict, beat or time the market 99% of the time

You cannot predict the market certainly. However, you are way off with your figure on beating the market. At least as far as the UK retail market goes (there are retail markets in some countries that are up in the 90% range as you suggest but not the UK).

All that is not the same as projecting loss potential.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    You cannot predict the market certainly. However, you are way off with your figure on beating the market. At least as far as the UK retail market goes (there are retail markets in some countries that are up in the 90% range as you suggest but not the UK).

All that is not the same as projecting loss potential.

I would expect a financial adviser to say that , having been sold one or two dog funds 25 years ago :rotfl: