Starting garlic in pots

My recently acquired half plot is terribly weedy and I haven't managed to clear a space yet for my garlic. I would like to start them off in pots and move them to the plot once it has been cleared, in the late winter or early spring. One item I have seen online suggests 3" pots and another at least six inches deep. Could anyone put me right please? The garlic won't grow to maturity in the pots.
Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!

Replies

• Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Find any pot you have that means you can plant the cloves 3 times their own depth. Leave the spacing to enable each clove to grow into a full bulb.

Do that now, water once, and leave outside until June when the stems will die off.

Leave in the pot, no need to move to a bed.

I've got an allotment and free beds at home and if I grew it, I would still grow in a pot.
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Linda32 wrote: »
    Find any pot you have that means you can plant the cloves 3 times their own depth. Leave the spacing to enable each clove to grow into a full bulb.

Do that now, water once, and leave outside until June when the stems will die off.

Leave in the pot, no need to move to a bed.

I've got an allotment and free beds at home and if I grew it, I would still grow in a pot.

Thanks Linda, I certainly have more than enough pots. I also have some polystyrene fish boxes which are quite deep so may use those as they will be easier to keep watered (and upright, as I live in a pretty windy location!).
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Above all, it needs excellent drainage. If it's dry for a month it will survive - thrive even, but leave it overwet for a couple of days and it will rot to nothing.

But once in pots, leave it there. It will be more than happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News