Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 8:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
13.9K replies 889.2K views

Replies

• wortwort Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I buy aldi brown thins ,for dgson as he prefers less bread. They're about 50p.
    Well done Wednesday on the weight loss.
    Yesterday tea was chicken pakoras with dauphinoise potatoes with spinach and broccoli.
    Today I made patatas bravas with extra spice, I added chicken and peppers and onion,then topped with cheese towards end of cooking time. I ate half with other half for when I get home from work tomorrow, as it will be easy to reheat.

Lunch es have been salad with chicken or cheese roll followed by yogurt and fruit.
    Mince pies and cream have been going down a treat.

Dug out a swathe of allium, as they are multiplying at a rate of knots. Put some in pots the others will be dished out to the other gardeners in the family.

I went shopping yesterday, and bought eggs, then got home and realised I didn't need them. So wanted to bake a cake ,but didn't have time. Will need to leave until Saturday now.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • edited 6 November 2018 at 6:01PM
    GrowingPlantsGrowingPlants Forumite
    53 posts
    edited 6 November 2018 at 6:01PM
    The bonfire party on Sunday was brill, I had 2 veggie sausages and some soup......and too much to drink. I felt delicate at work on Monday but at least I wasn’t the only one....3 of us felt rough.

During the working week breakfast and lunch are the same everyday pretty much. A banana when I wake up (only managed 1/2 on Monday) followed by over night oats made with oat milk, cinnamon and mixed dried fruit. Lunch is nearly always couscous with chillies, cheese and maybe the odd tomato. I’m a gardener so I sometimes get the odd bit of veg from the kitchen garden to liven up my lunch.

I didn’t have couscous however on Monday, it is easy to make but I really wasn’t up to it so just had toast with honey. At work we all drop a bit of cash in a jar in the messroom and that goes towards milk and bread. At the table in the messroom where I sit I have a jar of honey and a jar of peanut butter just I case....it’s worked well on days when I’m more hungry or like yesterday when I haven’t made lunch.
    Yesterday’s dinner was falafels, I cooked extra and had a few in my couscous today.

Today’s dinner has just finished cooking, I’m having spainish eggs.
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening everyone,
    As I thought might happen I had a total crash energy-wise today and my balance is very iffy. Consequently I've had a very quiet day and may well repeat tomorrow ;) . I'm feeling very excited though as I had a survey done earlier to get a woodburner installed, picked a stove etc. and all being ok re the final quote it should be in before Christmas :D:D . The weather has turned very wet & wild so it's feeling colder than it actually is - just the weather to have a nice fire burning:cool:.
    Lunch was a quick ham, cheese & salad wrap and for tonight I'm going roast a big tray of various veg and have some of those with chicken wings. The rest of the cooked veg can go into a pasta sauce on Thursday as I'm at my sister's tomorrow for dinner.

• Dinner tonight - potato and spinach curry with rice. Recipe courtesy of Slimming World magazine.

One of the "Well I ate it...." recipes imo then. Second helping tomorrow and won't be making it again.

Yep...still persevering with the diet:(. I can tell it is working - as, on leaning forward, I can catch hold of a small bit of "spare stomach". Previously I could catch hold of a noticeable amount of "spare stomach". Getting there......whew....whew...whew....

I will have a flat stomach and midriff again - and be able to get into all those trousers and jeans of mine again.....if it bores the !!!! off me doing so with the food involved.....

Well - boring the !!!! off me would help come to think of it.....LOL
  • BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dinner tonight - potato and spinach curry with rice. Recipe courtesy of Slimming World magazine.

One of the "Well I ate it...." recipes imo then. Second helping tomorrow and won't be making it again.

Yep...still persevering with the diet:(. I can tell it is working - as, on leaning forward, I can catch hold of a small bit of "spare stomach". Previously I could catch hold of a noticeable amount of "spare stomach". Getting there......whew....whew...whew....

It will be worth it Money :D I've found with SW recipes that they can be a bit bland I've always increased any herbs or spices to what they say. My diet mojo has taken a break I'm blaming my sister for pushing me off the wagon :rotfl: I need to kick my self up the *** and stop eating carp between meals :cool:

Caronc I'm afraid you're going to have to listen to your body and put your feet up with a good book for a few days <hugs>

The pita from yesterday moved on from emails to phones calls today :mad: I may be a mere woman but he learnt that I'm not going to be browbeaten by anyone, my answers were the same today as yesterday and there was a really 'bad' line from Turkey :cool: I'm not being awkward (well maybe a little) I don't have time to fix the mess they have taken 10 months to make by tomorrow. Throw in a two hour meeting this afternoon and I was first out the door at 5pm :)

I think I'm going to have to shut myself away tomorrow to meet deadlines, although I have until 10pm to finish it I really don't want to be working that late, I don't get paid enough :cool:

Lunch was a repeat of yesterday lentil loaf and salad, I think I will freeze the rest. Dinner was yesterday LO veg reheated with fresh gravy with lamb liver and onions. Right off to make scotch eggs to use the last two eggs and if I freeze the lentil loaf I need lunch
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Caronc that’s good news about the wood burner, hopefully you’ll have it in place before the worst of the winter weather.

Moneyistooshorttomention it’s always disappointing when you do a recipe and it doesn’t turn out as good as you hoped....and that’s made worse when you have more than one portion to eat. I have found myself adding chillies or cheese to meals in the past to try and make them more interesting.
  • edited 6 November 2018 at 8:15PM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 November 2018 at 8:15PM
    Brambling - with how stressful your job sounds - then I wonder if you've got space in your house for a Chillout Zone room or at least a Chillout Zone area?

My idea of that sort of thing is:
    - pile of cushions/floorcushions to lie on the floor on
    - throws and/or duvet to pile over me
    - chillout music
    - soft lighting
    - phone off the hook

That was one of my ways of coping with "That Bl**dy Job" as I fondly (or otherwise) referred to that awful job I had to hang onto for literally years before getting released by reaching retirement age. I rarely think about it now - there was 10 minutes today thinking "Thank goodness I can't be made redundant ever again. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about Health and Safety at work ever again". But it does rarely cross my mind these days.

Admitted a glass (or three) of wine was also part of it - and hence the dieting now....:cool:. So I'm not advocating that part of it....
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Money I haven't thought of a chilled out zone before but I have a spare bedroom hardly used :think: with regards to be made redundant having been there five years ago I've realised it wasn't the end of the world, it also meant I was able to pay off my mortgage so that worry has lessened. Don't get me wrong I would prefer for it to not happen until I'm 60.

The job isn't usually too bad it's just we've been very short staff most of the year with our usual work load as well as working on a major system upgrade :eek: unfortunately I'm also working Saturday afternoon and evening but I will do that from home.

I will admit to finishing wine left from my sister's visit :p but I do try and not go down the drinking alone route too often :beer:
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brambling wrote: »
    It will be worth it Money :D I've found with SW recipes that they can be a bit bland I've always increased any herbs or spices to what they say. My diet mojo has taken a break I'm blaming my sister for pushing me off the wagon :rotfl: I need to kick my self up the *** and stop eating carp between meals :cool:

Caronc I'm afraid you're going to have to listen to your body and put your feet up with a good book for a few days <hugs>

The pita from yesterday moved on from emails to phones calls today :mad: I may be a mere woman but he learnt that I'm not going to be browbeaten by anyone, my answers were the same today as yesterday and there was a really 'bad' line from Turkey :cool: I'm not being awkward (well maybe a little) I don't have time to fix the mess they have taken 10 months to make by tomorrow. Throw in a two hour meeting this afternoon and I was first out the door at 5pm :)

I think I'm going to have to shut myself away tomorrow to meet deadlines, although I have until 10pm to finish it I really don't want to be working that late, I don't get paid enough :cool:

Lunch was a repeat of yesterday lentil loaf and salad, I think I will freeze the rest. Dinner was yesterday LO veg reheated with fresh gravy with lamb liver and onions. Right off to make scotch eggs to use the last two eggs and if I freeze the lentil loaf I need lunch
    Yep I'm listening and scaling back for a few days as I don't want the "wonky donkey" to get out:rotfl:

Brambling -Could you "accidently" divert the phone back to itself (less obvious than leaving it off the hook) ahem not that I'm admitting to ever doing that when deadlines were looming:cool:.
    Money - I like to think of my home as my chill out space, it's a very "hygge" home from long before that was trendy and course a well-stocked wine rack always helps;):D
    Growing Plants - I used to be a great one for jazzing things up if they weren't quite what I hoped, cheese, butter and/or lots of spice usually work but sometimes the "fix" ended up creating extra portions of something that wasn't that great even after fixing. While I hate waste I'm now much more of the mind that unless it just needs a quick "perk up" with a couple of bits I bin it. Thankfully it seldom comes to this.:D

2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    caronc wrote: »
    Yep I'm listening and scaling back for a few days as I don't want the "wonky donkey" to get out:rotfl:

Brambling -Could you "accidently" divert the phone back to itself (less obvious than leaving it off the hook) ahem not that I'm admitting to ever doing that when deadlines were looming:cool:

Caronc I like where your mind is going :rotfl:

Use your books and chair to barricade the wonky donkey in :D