Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Prepping for Brexit thread - Page 91

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 493.7K views

Replies

• mardathamardatha Forumite
    15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the end MrsL, we can just go quietly about our prepping and leave those who want to discuss politics to get on with it. Maybe when they realise their cupboards are bare they'll wake up and smell (too late!) the coffee.
    - or lack of it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Wise words my friend xxx.
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What zeupater described makes the blood run cold. How can people be so rude, obnoxious and abusive to others, to people they don't even know? I know the whole EU referendum issue has evoked strong feelings on both sides of the argument, but it seems to be bordering on hysteria in some cases. Whilst some people are getting themselves wound up about what may or may not happen, the more practical and sensible folk amongst the population will look at possible scenarios, ask themselves "how would this affect me and my family?" and look for practical ways to prepare for the situation. As I said earlier, making sure you have adequate food, fuel and medicine stocks, and doing what you can do now to get rid of or reduce consumer debt, all this will help you get through what will be a period of uncertainty until things settle and our country begins its new relationship with the EU. Prepare for the worst whilst hoping for the best.
    One life - your life - live it!
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We were getting the blame for the leave vote 'because' we are older and it's an assumption made by the younger remainers that if you are older you WILL have voted leave, it won't matter what words you use or how many million times you use them if the remain contingent are convinced that the people responsible for the leave vote are the older part of the population, they will continue in the conviction and we'll be vilified and harassed and blamed whatever the actual truth of the matter is. It is a time to be cautious if you have grey hair and perhaps be a little lower profile then you have been previously in that type of situation.
    10.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So part of prepping for Brexit is to be discreet about your views on the issue and about what prepping you are doing?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Might be the most sensible option if behaviour such as described becomes more prevalent the closer we get to the event. Prepping for any reason is emotive and will draw opposition from many who don't understand why it's being done. Easy to ridicule what to us is rational and sensible looking ahead if you see a different landscape in your future to the one preppers do.
  • edited 29 October 2018 at 6:21AM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 October 2018 at 6:21AM
    So part of prepping for Brexit is to be discreet about your views on the issue and about what prepping you are doing?

Discreet on the latter front (ie what prepping one is doing) - but I certainly won't be "discreet" about my views on the issue.

It certainly feels to me that there is an increasing tendency for people to try and "rubbish" those with a different viewpoint to their own (not just re Brexit) but on a variety of different issues.

To me - if one can't openly express one's viewpoint on something that one knows a noticeable number of other people would/do agree with - then our precious British right to "freedom of speech" is being breached.

There is a lot of "shouting down" going on of other viewpoints in a variety of respects and trying to make out to someone with them that they are an idiot/in a small minority/etc/etc and forgetting that their viewpoint is one personal opinion and your viewpoint is one personal opinion. Therefore how come their viewpoint is, apparently, "An Objective Fact", whereas your viewpoint is apparently not even a Personal Viewpoint (but, rather, the thoughts of an idiot or something). I often wonder who this mythical "Everyone" is that agrees with someone trying to shout me down about something - even if the person concerned has roped in a group of their friends to join in the "shouting down".

Personally - I refuse to be "shouted down"/told I'm an idiot or worse or the like for any of my (perfectly normal) viewpoints and will insist on saying "What you are saying is YOUR personal opinion. What I am saying is MY personal opinion. Your views are not The Facts therefore".

So - personally I will keep expressing my personal viewpoint - even during those times I'm told I'm an idiot, I am thinking "Me-ow - they're being a b*tch and a few of their friends are agreeing with them and b*tching too".

I'm always very conscious that Viewpoint X was the "usual" one 30 years ago, for instance, and no-one tried to invoke some law against one for expressing it. On the other hand Viewpoint Y will be the "usual" one in 30 years time - so stop being so "old-fashioned" at me on the other hand (that would be those occasions when someone tries to treat me as a "woman", rather than as a "person" then LOL).

This is Britain - we have that precious right to express our opinions.
  • edited 29 October 2018 at 8:20AM
    fuddlefuddle Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 October 2018 at 8:20AM
    But money don't you see your post is one whole contradiction. Freedom of speech is about having the right to argue a point. Freedom of speech doesn't give carte blanch to express an opinion and that's the end of it.

Express an opinion in life that gets a person's heckles up then expect some recourse. THAT is freedom of speech, to me at least.

People who are 'roped into a group of friends' while expressing a viewpoint are being disrespected by you just like you don't like it being assumed that you're an idiot. You're assuming that they have no mind of their own either. The difference?

You're accepting that others have different viewpoints and that they have a right to express them but if they do they're 'shouting you down', insulting your intelligence or trying to suppress your right to express your own viewpoint.

This thread could be fantastic in the coming months but until politics and freedom of speech type posts stop it's worthless.

Should we drop the Brexit term. It's emotive, political and drawing people in who aren't, I think, necessarily OS.
    10.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of points re expressing views/debates.

Never lose your temper in an argument - if you're in the right you don't need to, if you're in the wrong you can't afford to.

And money I get what you mean about how annoying it is when people try and shout you down and not let you express your opinion but, do you know what? Sometimes I stand back and look at people who are metaphorically banging the table as they argue their point and I think "I can't be !!!!!d with the stress of trying to argue with idiots, let it go...." and I bring the conversation to a halt by saying that I disagree but I accept we all have different views and keep things neutral.

Anyway, can we get back to prepping? It will be interesting to see what Mr Hammond has in store for us with his Budget this week, it may give us more pointers as to what preps to make for next spring. I suspect (at the risk of sounding like a well worn record) the focus for us all will still be food, fuel, medicines, debt reduction.
  • monnagranmonnagran Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a difference between argument and discussion.

Argument tries to decide WHO Is right, Discussion tries to decide WHAT is right.

So let us discuss our preparations calmly. Who is right or wrong is immaterial.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.