28.6K replies 3.5M views

Replies

• NaughtiusMaximusNaughtiusMaximus Forumite
    2.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    A listing of many contradictions:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67792868.html

That's quite a lot of house and land (18 acres/7.2 hectares!) for your large slab of wonga.

But there's something unremittingly grim about the place - for example, the cloakroom with its wonky wooden toilet seat and crappy tiles, and that awful shaker-style kitchen, and the relentless torrent of beige that permeates the whole house.

Also, if I ever put a property on the market for a million pounds, I'm going to have the pictures taken by someone who isn't my dog using something that isn't a potato.

The description of the age of the property as 'late 20th century' as opposed to 1970s or 1980s sounds a little odd and out of place too. Usually you only see such vague age ranges on properties over 100 years old.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • datlexdatlex Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭

That's quite a lot of house and land (18 acres/7.2 hectares!) for your large slab of wonga.

But there's something unremittingly grim about the place - for example, the cloakroom with its wonky wooden toilet seat and crappy tiles, and that awful shaker-style kitchen, and the relentless torrent of beige that permeates the whole house.

Also, if I ever put a property on the market for a million pounds, I'm going to have the pictures taken by someone who isn't my dog using something that isn't a potato.
    Not only that it is very expensive for the local area. Saltburn is just up the road from Redcar, former British Steel/ SSI effected region. I think they would struggle to sell.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 37, Attempting Frugal Living. Became debt free at the end ot 2016. Used savings from becoming debt free to put a deposit on a bungalow last year now working on becoming Mortgage free by overpaying. (without overpayment MFW date is 2036)
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But there's something unremittingly grim about the place

Like the conservatory that's reminiscent of a prison exercise yard
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • edited 20 October 2018 at 9:39AM
    TheGardenerTheGardener Forumite
    3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 October 2018 at 9:39AM
    datlex wrote: »
    Not only that it is very expensive for the local area. Saltburn is just up the road from Redcar, former British Steel/ SSI effected region. I think they would struggle to sell.

Yes but its also only a spit from the North Yorkshire Heritage Coastline and is very popular with visitors. Its a lot of land so I would agree the place has potential even if the house itself is grim. A developer wouldn't want the house anyway (except as a site office). I'd say it was (subject to planning) ideal housing development land - this listing isn't about the house, its about the location and land.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That carpet, just why?

It has an air of a 1980's B&B throughout the downstairs.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is, indeed, a truly horrible carpet. Perhaps it is such good condition despite the horribleness, that they just can't bear to replace it and are moving to get away from it.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Thought this place seemed cheap for a 2 bedroom until I looked at the floorplan...

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76141226.html

Bizarre - almost seems designed to make the worst possible use of the available space...
  • Thought this place seemed cheap for a 2 bedroom until I looked at the floorplan...

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76141226.html

Bizarre - almost seems designed to make the worst possible use of the available space...
    That kitchen is insane. How do you even get the appliances in, never mind use them?
  • Good point - think you'd be looking at dismantling the whole kitchen if/when the cooker or washing machine goes. I was more concerned about getting into it in the first place as someone who is a little, *ahem*, bottom-heavy...
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support