Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Travellers face Eurostar disruption if there's no Brexit deal - MSE News - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Travellers face Eurostar disruption if there's no Brexit deal - MSE News

27 replies 2.5K views
13»

Replies

  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Headlines are supposed to be attention grabbing, yes, but they should also be accurate and honest.

    If the headlines you saw about French Air Traffic Control had said "French Air Traffic Controllers strike again - disruption possible" it would have informed people who were travelling and prompted most independent thinking adults to check whether they might be affected equally as effectively as a more dramatic, but untrue/over exaggerated headline.

    But I appear to be in the minority these days as I'm not one of those people who needs unnecessary drama in my life. I prefer facts. It's one of the reasons I don't buy newspapers.
    Maybe you shouldn't read online news either if attention grabbing headlines without lots of caveats cause you such stress. Do you complain about all such headlines or just ones about Brexit?
  • edited 13 October 2018 at 5:33PM
    jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 October 2018 at 5:33PM
    zagfles wrote: »
    Maybe you shouldn't read online news either if attention grabbing headlines without lots of caveats cause you such stress. Do you complain about all such headlines or just ones about Brexit?

    All of them irritate me (not enough to cause me stress though :) ) although I don't usually bother complaining. I can't be bothered with the drama of an argument normally.
    Was just feeling more irritated than usual yesterday when I saw this one because (foolishly, it would seem) for some daft reason I thought MSE was better than this :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    MFW #4 :) OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33
    2020 YTD £837.07 Jan £69.76, Feb £67.31, Mar £700.00
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    The sensationalism is in the headline.

    And at a time when Remainers are conspiring to frustrate the democratic decision of the UK Electorate, this sort of reporting annoys people.

    You could have factually stated "The Government has published the latest in a series of papers on what might happen if we leave the EU without an agreement. These latest papers cover transportation and broadcasting.

    You might even have provided a link to the papers.

    But that would not have been sensational.

    Or you could have said the Government has published its latest impact assessments on Brexit, but remain confident that a deal will be reached.

    https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/how-to-prepare-if-the-uk-leaves-the-eu-with-no-deal#history

    While I share your thoughts about this article (particularly Netflix/Spotify - OBVIOUSLY they will continue to work in the EU, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever that could possibly stop it), your argument is also absurd.

    It is in fact those trying to leave the EU that are frustrating democracy. You know full well that if a referendum was held now, we would without a doubt vote to stay - which is precisely why your buddies are so determined to deny one. Leaving the EU is costing billions and billions of pounds so fake concern over the cost of running another is ridiculous. Not to mention I personally don't recognise the democratic validity of a vote that can only get 51% (and yes, I'd say the exact same thing if in ten years time 51% of us vote to rejoin).
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    callum9999 wrote: »
    While I share your thoughts about this article (particularly Netflix/Spotify - OBVIOUSLY they will continue to work in the EU, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever that could possibly stop it), your argument is also absurd.

    It is in fact those trying to leave the EU that are frustrating democracy. You know full well that if a referendum was held now, we would without a doubt vote to stay - which is precisely why your buddies are so determined to deny one. Leaving the EU is costing billions and billions of pounds so fake concern over the cost of running another is ridiculous. Not to mention I personally don't recognise the democratic validity of a vote that can only get 51% (and yes, I'd say the exact same thing if in ten years time 51% of us vote to rejoin).

    People also seem to conveniently forget the 1975 referendum when they call for a "second" vote. We've had a second vote, it would be a third vote.

    In the 1975 vote a share over 67% voted to remain.
    This space for hire.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    callum9999 wrote: »
    While I share your thoughts about this article (particularly Netflix/Spotify - OBVIOUSLY they will continue to work in the EU, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever that could possibly stop it), your argument is also absurd.

    It is in fact those trying to leave the EU that are frustrating democracy. You know full well that if a referendum was held now, we would without a doubt vote to stay - which is precisely why your buddies are so determined to deny one. Leaving the EU is costing billions and billions of pounds so fake concern over the cost of running another is ridiculous. Not to mention I personally don't recognise the democratic validity of a vote that can only get 51% (and yes, I'd say the exact same thing if in ten years time 51% of us vote to rejoin).
    It's looking like the only way the govt will get a deal through is by having a referendum - nothing will satisfy all of the EU, the DUP, and the rabid Brexiteers on the Tory benches. Labour will automatically vote against any deal using any old flimsy excuse. So no way any deal acceptable to the EU will get through parliament.

    However if the govt proposed a referendum, Labour will likely have to support as they voted to in their conference. There's talk of a 3 way referendum - a) leave with the negotiated deal b) leave with no deal, or c) remain. Probably using AV.
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    waamo wrote: »
    People also seem to conveniently forget the 1975 referendum when they call for a "second" vote. We've had a second vote, it would be a third vote.

    In the 1975 vote a share over 67% voted to remain.

    That's an incredibly weird argument to make given it supports having a third vote (by arguing there's already been two and we should accept the second not the first, you're saying it's ok for people to change their minds - I e. the right thing to do would be to have a third).

    And if you want to be so ridiculously pedantic, that referendum was not for the EU...
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    callum9999 wrote: »
    That's an incredibly weird argument to make given it supports having a third vote (by arguing there's already been two and we should accept the second not the first, you're saying it's ok for people to change their minds - I e. the right thing to do would be to have a third).

    And if you want to be so ridiculously pedantic, that referendum was not for the EU...

    I'm not actually arguing either way. I'm pointing out that this isn't the first referendum we have had on membership of the EU. It's the same organisation it's just common terminology that's changed.
    This space for hire.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support