Forum Home» Savings & Investments

Patisserie Valerie - Page 8

New Post Advanced Search

Patisserie Valerie

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
106 replies 13.3K views
15681011

Replies

  • waamowaamo Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Shoe shops - I've always said I can't imagine attempting to buy shoes online. An offspring mocked me for this and ordered me a pair of trainers - didn't fit, back they went. What a bonkers way to shop.

    Books, fine. Even shirts or, at a pinch, trousers. But shoes?

    Anyway, coffee and cake shops - I imagine the point is social, isn't it? Meet for a natter? And display your new trainers?

    I've bought many a pair of shoes online and never had a problem with them fitting. It's an awful lot easier than going to some out of the way place to buy one item.
    This space for hire.
  • MalthusianMalthusian Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Not for the retailer though.

    It is compared to renting shops in prime locations and paying people to stand around in them for hours on end.

    Or so I assume. I have no inside knowledge of the sector. I am simply assuming that the people who run online shops aren't completely moronic.
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malthusian wrote: »
    It is compared to renting shops in prime locations and paying people to stand around in them for hours on end.

    Or so I assume. I have no inside knowledge of the sector. I am simply assuming that the people who run online shops aren't completely moronic.


    ah, you never did any work with Boo dot com then :D
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    6.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I worked at JamJar.com and our office had seats which had a spike in the middle to keep us alert and looking like meerkats. My bottom was so sore at night. They were total idiots.
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alexland wrote: »
    I worked at JamJar.com and our office had seats which had a spike in the middle to keep us alert and looking like meerkats. My bottom was so sore at night. They were total idiots.


    Ha I forgot those. I think we bought a car from them, it was in the days of grey imports.
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    6.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Ha I forgot those. I think we bought a car from them, it was in the days of grey imports.

    Mostly we were passing the job onto Dixons Motors and taking commission. The problem was the advertising was costing more and the sales volume was low. Still it was only a holiday job so not my problem.

    Alex
  • kidmugsykidmugsy Forumite
    12.6K posts
    Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malthusian wrote: »
    How long does it take to get to a high street, try some shoes on, stand in a queue, and then come back? An hour at least, more likely two

    How long does it take to go to the post office with the parcels?

    And my need for trainers was sufficiently specialised in size that the idea of finding something promising in half an hour was hopelessly optimistic. I'll stick to shirts.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • MalthusianMalthusian Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    How long does it take to go to the post office with the parcels?

    Two minutes in the lunch hour in my case. While we are quite lucky, the general point is that there is a far higher density of Post Offices or other places you can drop off parcels with pre-printed returns labels than there is of shoe shops.

    It probably won't be too long before the zero-hours army will collect the stuff from your doorstep for little/no cost as well as dropping it off.
  • pafpcgpafpcg Forumite
    652 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Malthusian wrote: »
    It probably won't be too long before the zero-hours army will collect the stuff from your doorstep for little/no cost as well as dropping it off.
    It's here already for customers of that online outfit which shares its name with a South American river. We booked a returns collection for the next day (they'd shipped an old obsolete version of what we'd ordered - cheeky blighters, did they think we wouldn't notice?), but the collection driver didn't turn up until two days later! The guy didn't seem surprised when I told him we'd cancelled the return and sent it back the day before using Royal Mail....
  • londoninvestorlondoninvestor Forumite
    1.4K posts
    First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    ah, you never did any work with Boo dot com then :D

    Memory lane!

    How about that plucky home-grown British Amazon challenger, jungle dot com?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support