New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Debt Free Year

edited 10 December 2019 at 10:08PM in Debt Free Diaries
3K replies 218.4K views

Replies

• HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    12.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicnak wrote: »
    I've just realised I am also showing as having two mortgages! One new opened and the other not updated as settled!

That would make you look a bit overstretched!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £1,500/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £50/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a tad!

It doesn't matter, it's done now. Just a case of building everything back up. x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated December 2019
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £5,362 Total = £25,330 :(£5,362 79% gone EMF #252 = £1300/£1000
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #071 = 2020 = £4388.01

Decluttering target 2280/3500 items
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today did not go to plan!

I went to get my free facial, but the lady wasn't in. I have booked it in for next Tuesday now instead. I have booked to have my eyebrows done as well now as you get a birthday one free. So eyebrows and facial on the same day. I can't wait to be honest!

I picked up my mum and sisters Christmas gifts, and then went to Tesco and got my sister some Pjs for her birthday next week. Yesterday, I asked her to get me some bath towels as mine have all been taken. When I went in Tesco they had some bath sheets reduced to £5. I got four. When I get paid on Friday, I will buy some more bath towels for £3 and a couple of hand towels. That way I will at least have a matching set!

I'm not sure what to ask for for my birthday. My mum has been asking me. I have seen a nice watch, but equally a nice dressing table too. My mum won't get me food or anything like that for my birthday, it always has to be a gift for me so will have to think which one I would like more. I'm leaning towards the dressing table up to now. It'll make the bedroom look more like mine.
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £5,362 Total = £25,330 :(£5,362 79% gone EMF #252 = £1300/£1000

• NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning,

I am doing ok.
    I had to dip into my savings to get myself out of my overdraft. This is because I bought some Christmas presents ad thought the mortgage payment would be back in by Monday. i contacted them today, and they have said that it won't be back in my account till Friday- I know it is coming in, but I am disappointed that I spent without waiting for it to me back to me.

Little one needs winter dresses, but ex has agreed to buy these/give me the money for them. I'm not sure when so will hopefully be this week, as she is getting a bit low on leggings, winter tights, and dresses.

I am doing ok on Christmas presents.
    I am getting all the little ones together such as: childminders, teachers and then have got some for my mum and sister.

My nephew has his birthday in November so used the first round of Amazon vouchers to pay for that. Second round will buy wrap ups for my little one. I think I am due around £30 more so that will get her quite a few bits.

Still to buy:
    Little one main present
    dad
    mum little bit
    nephew x2
    ex (from daughter)
    Still looks like a lot!

I have got most of my in laws presents from me and little one. It still looks like quite a lot above, but I am sure I will have most of these sorted next time I get paid.

I didn't sleep too well last night. Trying to sort everything out in my head and recover 100% now. I don't feel guilty for being off work as I desperately need to get myself right.

Not sure what I am going to do today. x

• DorastarDorastar Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope you can take it easy today, you've been so busy you deserve a rest.
    Mr T £8662 Mortgage £157,324 going down slowly
    Emergency Fund £1000 Blanket squares 36/60
    Brightfuturefund (BFF) £6118
  • HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    12.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you find something enjoyable or useful to do today Nicnak. I hope your weather is better than ours, we have strong winds and rain!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £1,500/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £50/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strong winds and rain here too.

I went to Bury with my parents today. I got some clothes for little one ready for winter now. Ex paid for them so it didn't feel so worrying that I was spending a fair bit. I know she needs them, but normally I get a few bits at a time.

I got the mortgage payment back yesterday and put £400 off the loan straight away. I bought some Christmas presents with the rest and will use my wages on Monday for the £300 extra payment for this month.

I'm just relaxing with some juice and watching TV after walking round for most of the day today. My parents gave me some money for my birthday present today so I ordered a dressing table to go in my bedroom.

I was also naughty and bought some treacle toffee that I absolutely love.

It's hard walking through shopping centres and smelling all the beautiful cakes and pies and pasties and knowing you just can't have any.

It's also a relief to know I am not mad either, and that my little reactions, were actual reactions and not made up in my head.

I still don't feel able to go back to work at the minute. I had one really good night sleep this week, which made me feel incredible the day after. I have a night off tonight as well as little one is at my parents for the night. I'll be in bed for 9.30pm. I didn't sleep so well last night!

x

• SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you get a good sleep tonight , with little one being away, you might get a lie in. I am off to Bury tomorrow with my friend, it's a good place for shopping.

Glad you decided to stay off work until you are completely recovered.
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope you get a good sleep tonight , with little one being away, you might get a lie in. I am off to Bury tomorrow with my friend, it's a good place for shopping.

Glad you decided to stay off work until you are completely recovered.

Enjoy. I hope the weather is better tomorrow for you. x

• NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning,

Pay day is Monday, but my money is in my account showing already. It is one of the only times I have felt guilt seeing my wage when I haven't been working properly.

i used swags last night to play some bingo. I deposited the £10 to get the free £50, but didn't realise they gave it as free tickets and not bingo bonus. By the time i had realised, I had wasted most of it on the 1p Bingo, which meant the 200 free tickets that I could have used on 25p games, had amounted to £2.

I did win £50 and withdrew it immediately as normal. That means I am £40 up. None of this counts the Swag points, which equates to about £8 in total. I'll exchange it for Amazon vouchers for my little one for Christmas.

Tonight, there is another bingo site which offers something similar so I will do the same. I'll get more vouchers for this one than the £10 deposit, and if I manage to win anything, I will be up straight away. I enjoy bingo and it is about the discipline of it as well.

With this £40, I am getting me and little one matching pjs for Christmas Eve. I am also taking her to choose three Christmas Decorations this morning for our tree. I have to be really careful this month with the mortgage going well over the normal amount. I have also paid off over £1000 on the loan. When I update balance, including my full wages before bills have come out, my outstanding figure is -£7500. That is so low for me. I know by the end of the month, it will be -£9200, but again, this is huge progress.
    x