New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

TUI plane seat reservation

98 replies 29.7K views

Replies

• edited 8 October 2018 at 12:29PM
    mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2018 at 12:29PM
    Thread summary:
    > Toys on the way out of pram, OP expects support
    > No support given, toys well and truly out of pram
    > Reasonable arguments given
    > Reasonable argument battered by further flying toys

Ah, I love the Internet :)

It's a simple choice - if you want the guarantee, you pay. I'm by no means a mug, but I accept that airlines have to support a business model based on extras and additions for a competitive headline fare.
    It's just the way it is.

If you don't like it, don't be another 'sofa bleater' - start your own airline and have it the way you want.
    Also TC does do this, as I flew with them last week - I suggest you load your own metaphorical pipe with the tattered remains of your pointless argument, and ignite the remnants.
    I don't think the Internet is a place you're cut out for!
  • ShelldeanShelldean Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't pay for our seats on a recent BA flight. However I could only select them about 36 hours before departure.
    We was offered the choice of paying when booking, which I declined. And also when I did book our seats some seats, such as extra legroom still had a charge. But as it was a short flight I didn't bother and opted for free seats.
  • jpsartrejpsartre Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    daveleics wrote: »
    My point is that there's an element of emotional blackmail here that is obviously reflected in the report.

Some people might agree with you, others don't. Believe or not, people sometimes view the same thing differently. If TUI does business in a way that bothers you, then book from somebody else. And they don't have to justify the cost of any product they offer, just as you don't have to agree to purchase it.
  • DUKEDUKE Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK daveleics, I don't pay either & never have done, not even for exit row seats. So, what about if those of us that don't want to pay get together at the airport & we all agree to shuffle around until we are sitting next to each other?

I must admit though that apart from one time (I made such a fuss, I'm lucky that the airline in particular didn't beat me up like they did with that Dr) we've always sat next to each other. Usually I ask for exit row & get them, but it can get quite cold in those seats so I don't bother any more.
  • edited 8 October 2018 at 4:24PM
    NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2018 at 4:24PM
    If I bought a bus or train ticket in advance I wouldn't expect to pay extra to reserve a seat.
    Oh yes you would, if you want to guarantee having a seat.

Specific seats can be booked on trains, and on many, if not most, longer coach journeys.

Otherwise you run the risk of having to stand part (at least) of the journey on busy routes.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    16.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We flew with TUI last yesr and didn't reserve seats, checked in quite late, and ended up all together with extra legroom seats :)
    Generally if you don't pay to reserve seats you do usually end up together, except on Ryanair, IME. We've never paid and always ended up together except on Ryanair.
    16.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes you would, if you want to guarantee having a seat.

Specific seats can be booked on trains, and on many, if not most, longer coach journeys.
    Yes but it's usually free. I've never paid extra to reserve a seat on a train.
    16.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daveleics wrote: »
    My point is that there's an element of emotional blackmail here that is obviously reflected in the report. If I bought a bus or train ticket in advance I wouldn't expect to pay extra to reserve a seat. I would like to know how the airline justifies the charge? or specifically, what work is involved in reserving a seat in advance, over and above the work involved to give a passenger a seat, next to their family, when they check in at the airport? my guess is none. In which case, what justifies the charge? It's a rip off. Then again there are plenty of mugs in this country if this forum is anything to go by. No wonder they get away with it.
    This is a subject that gets discussed a lot on here and gets a lot of people hot under the collar. MSE have done several articles/campaigns about this, this one may be of interest:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/airline-seating/
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yes but it's usually free. I've never paid extra to reserve a seat on a train.
    It will be included in the cost so everybody pays- no choice not to.
  • jpsartrejpsartre Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sheramber wrote: »
    It will be included in the cost so everybody pays- no choice not to.

This is often stated but really doesn't make much sense. There is no cost to the train company to allocate seats to passengers so there's no cost to include. It's like saying the cost of breathing air while travelling is included in the ticket cost.