Add your feedback on energy supplier OneSelect

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
91 replies 21K views

Replies

• nigelbbnigelbb Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am looking to switch to another fixed tariff and One Select comes up every time offering an estimated annual cost of £766 but when I go to their site that has shot up to £1058. Where has the "great saving" of £133 per year gone? Instead it would cost £292 more than their offer on this site and £159 more than staying with my current supplier.

There are no "great savings" to be had by switching to any supplier unless you are on a Standard Variable Tariff. Once you have switched to a decent tariff any further switches will at most provide trivial savings.
  • I moved away from Oneselect about a month ago and still awaiting a final bill. Is there a time limit on when I should receive this?
  • I am looking to switch to another fixed tariff and One Select comes up every time offering an estimated annual cost of £766 but when I go to their site that has shot up to £1058. Where has the "great saving" of £133 per year gone? Instead it would cost £292 more than their offer on this site and £159 more than staying with my current supplier.
    If I plug my own usage figures into OneSelect’s website their current offering ‘Secure Sept 1 Year Fixed 2018’ has no appeal whatsoever.

The tariff (Secure July 1 Year Fixed 2018) that has recently put OneSelect at the top of the charts for ‘fixed’ deals has been pulled by the looks of it. I guess the comparison sites will be updated in the next few days or so.
  • A1noviceA1novice Forumite
    57 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I can honestly say that I have never dealt with a company with such bad customer care. I requested a refund for money that I had over paid at the beginning of July. Since then I have emailed on a number of occassions and opened a complaint with them and 2 weeks after submitting my complaint I am still waiting a resolution. When I phone them I get a message saying "we are currently experiencing a higher number of calls than usual....." and no matter how long I hold on I am not able to speak with anyone. I am beyond frustrated. I would never recommend this company as they are not able to deal with their customers satisfactorily.
    :mad:
  • A word of caution regarding oneselect. On your closing bill they inflate your gas usage despite adding meter readings to their portal and also sending them an email with the readings.

They are now telling me that to will take up to 8 weeks to correct!! Is there a maximum time that they have to issue refunds (from account closure to repayment of any credit)?
  • Post-switching a year ago to OneSelect, I have had a consistently dire experience with them.

TL;DR - they screwed up my billing and direct debit, leaving me with large cashflow problems and an administrative headache taking ages to pick apart.

I thought I switched on 30 September 2017, and a direct debit came out my account on this date. The household energy usage had not varied drastically, so I expected the direct debit amounts to be roughly correct (c £60/month).

Imagine my absolute horror to receive a bill in June 2018 for over £600, which the bill stated they would deduct in full automatically via direct debit from my account. Like the vast majority of people, I could not afford £600 of cash disappearing! :eek:

Turns out there was a month's delay on the switch, which actually occurred 2 Nov 2018, as my previous supplier wanted the (small) outstanding sum to be settled before the switch went through. OneSelect had taken my direct debit in Sept, paused it whilst they didn't have my account (the right thing to do), but then never "unpaused" it. I had a direct debit which I knew was setup properly and functional, but OneSelect did not take any money on the direct debit. They then hit me with the bill for over SEVEN MONTHS of WINTER USAGE.

Their email response rate is, as recorded by others here, abysmal. I received an auto response notification saying they'd respond... in 28 days. :( After three weeks, I eventually got through to them and had a phone call with a pleasant lady who could, unfortunately, only apologise for this. She was polite and sympathetic, though at no point was I offered any compensation or gesture of goodwill for their appalling service.

I paid the majority of the lump sum with what ready cash I had in savings, and asked for regular monthly direct debit to resume the next month, along with obviously monthly billing.

This was June 2018. OneSelect, having not issued a bill for over 7 months, then issued 6 different bills that month, covering June. Two of the six invoices cancelled out a different two invoices which covered the same period - once to correct a 2p difference, and once for no apparent reason whatsoever. Four of the six invoices covered a period of between 3 and 8 days. They went from one confusing extreme to another.

The next month (July) they issued a bill and took the DD - I thought it was finally sorted. However, I then didn't receive any bill between July and October - for no reason. I chased this and demanded a bill; was told by customer service I had to submit fresh meter readings for them to issue a bill (they had readings from a few weeks earlier); they then issued two invoices the next day without the meter readings (inc one which cancelled out/overwrote an earlier invoice from July, confusingly). The direct debits from Aug and Sept were credited against the July invoice, so on opening the Aug-Sept invoice it looked like no direct debit had been taken - I've had to set up my own spreadsheet JUST TO WORK OUT which invoices haven't been cancelled/overwritten and that my payments have been properly accounted for. Thank goodness I'm financially literate and have some liquidity, or OneSelect's incompetence could have had a far larger impact on someone more vulnerable.

I am now switching away, never to return - the stress I've had and the time I've wasted unpicking this is not worth it, even if they were cheapest in market (which they're not anymore). :cry::cry:
  • trinidadonetrinidadone Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pogbottom wrote: »
    Post-switching a year ago to OneSelect, I have had a consistently dire experience with them.

TL;DR - they screwed up my billing and direct debit, leaving me with large cashflow problems and an administrative headache taking ages to pick apart.

I thought I switched on 30 September 2017, and a direct debit came out my account on this date. The household energy usage had not varied drastically, so I expected the direct debit amounts to be roughly correct (c £60/month).

Imagine my absolute horror to receive a bill in June 2018 for over £600, which the bill stated they would deduct in full automatically via direct debit from my account. Like the vast majority of people, I could not afford £600 of cash disappearing! :eek:

Turns out there was a month's delay on the switch, which actually occurred 2 Nov 2018, as my previous supplier wanted the (small) outstanding sum to be settled before the switch went through. OneSelect had taken my direct debit in Sept, paused it whilst they didn't have my account (the right thing to do), but then never "unpaused" it. I had a direct debit which I knew was setup properly and functional, but OneSelect did not take any money on the direct debit. They then hit me with the bill for over SEVEN MONTHS of WINTER USAGE.

Their email response rate is, as recorded by others here, abysmal. I received an auto response notification saying they'd respond... in 28 days. :( After three weeks, I eventually got through to them and had a phone call with a pleasant lady who could, unfortunately, only apologise for this. She was polite and sympathetic, though at no point was I offered any compensation or gesture of goodwill for their appalling service.

I paid the majority of the lump sum with what ready cash I had in savings, and asked for regular monthly direct debit to resume the next month, along with obviously monthly billing.

This was June 2018. OneSelect, having not issued a bill for over 7 months, then issued 6 different bills that month, covering June. Two of the six invoices cancelled out a different two invoices which covered the same period - once to correct a 2p difference, and once for no apparent reason whatsoever. Four of the six invoices covered a period of between 3 and 8 days. They went from one confusing extreme to another.

The next month (July) they issued a bill and took the DD - I thought it was finally sorted. However, I then didn't receive any bill between July and October - for no reason. I chased this and demanded a bill; was told by customer service I had to submit fresh meter readings for them to issue a bill (they had readings from a few weeks earlier); they then issued two invoices the next day without the meter readings (inc one which cancelled out/overwrote an earlier invoice from July, confusingly). The direct debits from Aug and Sept were credited against the July invoice, so on opening the Aug-Sept invoice it looked like no direct debit had been taken - I've had to set up my own spreadsheet JUST TO WORK OUT which invoices haven't been cancelled/overwritten and that my payments have been properly accounted for. Thank goodness I'm financially literate and have some liquidity, or OneSelect's incompetence could have had a far larger impact on someone more vulnerable.

I am now switching away, never to return - the stress I've had and the time I've wasted unpicking this is not worth it, even if they were cheapest in market (which they're not anymore). :cry::cry:

Hey, did you not notice the Direct Debit from this company was not coming out of your bank account?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • edited 22 October 2018 at 9:17AM
    teresa.hefferteresa.heffer Forumite
    3 posts
    edited 22 October 2018 at 9:17AM
    It was easy to switch to OneSelect just over a year ago. However I decided to switch from them when they increased my monthly direct debit even though I was well in credit, and I found a better deal when the fix came to an end. I switched to a new company on 13th September. I received a final bill from OneSelect on the 28th September (2 weeks later) showing a credit balance of £142.81, and the note 'Please contact us to request a refund'. I emailed on 29th September requesting a refund, and again on 10th October and have received nothing but the standard automated reply. I don't know why I need to contact them to request a refund since they've been taking a direct debit out of my bank account for the last year! I understand that OneSelect are a relatively new company, but they'll not last long at this rate!
    Update 22nd October
    I received an email saying I should receive my refund within 5-7 working days - I wait with baited breath!
  • .rob.rob Forumite
    1 posts
    Pretty much what other people have complained about. VERY POOR customer service, increase direct debits without explanation. They said I would get a refund of my large credit balance, I didn't, they said my direct debit would be reset it wasn't, at first, but I persisted and they eventually relented. Still chasing my credit balance. Currently in the process of switching having only been with them for 7 painful months.
  • Not much up to date feedback on OneSelect recently so let me fill in some gaps. I started with this company in Jun 2017 and initially everything while not perfect was pretty good. So I rolled over with them into 2018 - 2019. Both years I have been on fixed term (1year) contracts. DD payments. Internet a/c i.e I read my own meter regularly and submit my readings via my OneSelect login a/c. For this type of account they have always been as cheap or mostly cheaper than anyone else. This year there seems to be an accelerating decline in efficiency and communication. Things came to a head about a week ago when I received an email informing me my DD was going up by £23.00 a month. I was currently paying £70.00 a month and based on my Kwh usage. ( I have Kwh usage elec/gas per month going back some years) ‘ how anal I can hear you say ‘ there was reasonable justification to raising my DD to £74.00 a month. I actually received an ‘energy statement’ from OneSelect in early oct and their predicated annual usage for me totalled £890.00, almost exactly £74.00 a month. So I asked for an explanation via my account ‘Contact us’ that was 6 days ago, thus far no reply. 3 days ago I repeated my message via their Facebook page. This has once before been a successful way to ‘reach’ someone when ‘Contact us’ failed. No Facebook response thus far. Today I rang them to be informed I was in a 45 min queue. Frustrating eh ? If I allow my DD to continue at the £93.00 stated I know I will not ‘lose’ money but my principle is the extra £20.00 a month is better in my account than OneSelects. If they do not sort this out in the next few days (next DD due on 26th) I Intend to cancel the DD (bet that provokes a response) and when they come on ‘heavy’ I shall tell them to bill me quarterly. Thanks for staying with me, if anyone did ?