Savings for the Boy & Me

Replies

• savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds AMAZING. I hope you are having lots of fun it sounds like you are! We might have a weekend of storms here so you aren't missing much!!!! :rotfl:
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Chandelier.Chandelier. Forumite
    933 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    It was amazing savingwannabe. It's back to reality now and don't I know it!

It was my first day back at work yesterday which proved to be very hectic. If I'm honest it's like I've never been away with the workload I was given and for all that went on. I'm now doing my set days which will make life so much easier, more so with the childcare dilemmas.

Today I've had the day off. I went to one friends house this morning for a coffee and a catch up. Then I met another friend for lunch where we had a good ole natter and we discussed our plans for a trip to Amsterdam next year. We had a look at rough costs for flights and hotel. All I need to do is book the time off work for it. I shall devise a budget for this soon and hopefully get it booked as soon as possible.

I've also been thinking about Christmas and I am keen to start my shopping. As mentioned previously, I am cutting right back this year and only buying for those closest to me and for people I want to. I have been saving money each month into my Christmas fund and have more then enough to cover all costs but I'm hoping to become way below budget. I've wrote a list and set a budget for each person and I've already thought of some great ideas and bought a few token gifts, more for appreciation of a few people in my life who make that extra little bit of difference.

So that's where I am. My next post will be the detailed budget that I can always come back to as a reminder of what I intend to spend. I'll keep track of all spends and update with final figures when my shopping is completed.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • edited 30 October 2018 at 6:14PM
    Chandelier.Chandelier. Forumite
    933 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2018 at 6:14PM
    Christmas 2018

Christmas Fund: £650.00

The Boy: £350.00
    Mum:: £60.00
    Sister/Brother in law: £30.00
    Brother/Sister in law: £20.00
    Nephew: £15.00
    Niece: £15.00
    Godson: £15.00
    Manager: £10.00.
    The Boy's Dad: £15.00.
    Grandparents: £15.00.
    Best friend: £10.00
    Best friend #2: £10.00
    Secret Santa: £10.00
    Ice Skating teachers: £10.00
    School teacher: £5.00
    Friend #1: £5.00
    Friend #2 £5.00
    Friend #3: £5.00
    Friend #4 £5.00
    Total budget: £610.00
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    16.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back. I hope work was ok. So far I have £40 in my xmas fund. lol. It is so cold here I hope you have so many happy memories of your holiday.
    933 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon.

I guess it's time for my weekly update :).

All has been busy in our household and I'm still trying to catch up with everything but I'm only doing a few things at a time.

I had my sisters final hen do last weekend which went well. This was one mainly for family and a reason for us all to get together before the big day, which is now just only a week away! I took my dress in for alterations last week and I'll have to pick them up this weekend or else I'll have no bridemaid dress lol.

I then spent Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at work. It's the start of my set shifts which are ten hours each, so I'm just about settling in with them. It will take a couple of weeks to get the routine into my system but at least I will have more time with the boy and everything else that is going on in my life.

One of my friends is due to have her baby this week so I went shopping and have made up a hamper for both her and the baby. I've bought some essentials she can use and also got her a gift that she can treat herself with. In the hamper, I bought nappies, wipes, a blanket, baby bath and shampoo, a dummy and some weaning pots and spoons. I then bought her some bath bombs for when she gets time to herself :D.

Also, one of my other friends is leaving work so I bought her a lovely scarf, a candle and a keyring to show my appreciation towards her.

I set a budget for each friend and have stuck within it. I'm chuffed with what I have bought them both and I know they'll both appreciate their gifts. That's all that matters.

It's also the Harvest season coming up and the boy's school have been asking for donation so I went on a mission today which entailed spending no more then £10. I stuck to this and managed to buy lots of food items which they requested and also toiletries which will come in handy. It's sad that in this day and age, some women can't afford sanitary products. We are also doing a collection at work which I bought a few items for, mainly womens products. I've decided I'm going to make this a monthly thing and donate regularly as and when possible. I'll just pick up a few extra bits each week when doing our shop and let it build up a bit. I'm sure this will be appreciated. It just opens up your eyes to the poverty people experience and makes you realise how fortunate you are. At least we have a roof over our head and food in our bellies.

I then went and met up with another friend for a coffee and a catch up before coming home and making up a huge batch of potato and leek soup of which I'll freeze some. My uncle is coming round for tea tonight as he usually does which is nice for us all.

Now I'm just to plan what I'm going to do next. I've managed to sort out a dentist appointment for the boy and me next week. I've also sorted out my prescription which I'll pick up tomorrow.

I just need to sort out our sky bill for the next year which is one of my mum's only luxuries for herself so I'm hoping to get yet another good deal. I'll bargain my way through it and I also need to sort out her building/contents insurance for her. They will be the next two things I'll target and shop around for.

Aside from that it is just other silly, little bits and bobs that need doing.

After working out my budget last week, I'm going to start my Christmas shopping soon. I've had a think about what gifts I'm going to get for people and will work out how I'm going to do it all. The boy's family are each going to get a nice photo of him in a picture frame which I'm sure they'll love. We got a photo of him dressed up lovely from the cruise so I'll just get this reprinted. I'm not sure how me, my brother and sister are going to do gift swapping this year due to us not all going to be within the same vicinity of one another. It's going to be a bit more complicated this year as we are all in different stages of our lives and have other commitments. I guess I can always send things via post or courier.

I've started having a think about a little business venture I may start up. It's all to do with an obsession of mine that people are always commenting on. I'm a little apprehensive so will do my research before I do anything but it may give me a bit of pocket money that I can save and put towards our future adventures. It shouldn't be something too difficult to manage but we will see. It may be something I start small and build upon.

That's pretty much it really :).
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    16.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are really prepared, so maybe as well as having a fab holiday that I am soooooo envious of you also managed to plan things subconsciously. This business idea sounds great. Well done you.

It's great that you are thinking about Christmas and also doing kind things like the harvest parcels. Hurrah for kind people. I hope you have a lovely rest of the weekend.
    933 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't posted here for a while as life is just hectic at the moment.

However the wedding is finally here! Today is about last minute preparations all for tomorrow.

I've a lot of things to do so I shall tackling through my to do lists shortly.

Once this is all over I'm going to have a closer look at my budgets/bank accounts and see what if I can save any more each month. I'm determined to up the saving pots now and crack on with things.

I'll be reviewing my direct debits shortly and have already decided on two which I can save from.

I currently pay for a private dental plan, however my dentist is happy for me to transfer me over to a NHS patient so that will save me £11.99 each month. I also subscribed to spotify a while ago but I'm not using it enough so I will get rid of that which will also free up £9.99 a month. That's over £20 that can already be saved.

I already save £500 per month- £200 into my help to buy ISA and £300 into a 5% interest account. I signed up to another bank account which offers another 5% account, so I'll set that up shortly when I have time and try to save the maximum into it.

My first 5% interest account matures in January. I'll have £3600 in this account by then and I'm yet to decide what to do with it next. I have many accounts for different purposes so it's just keeping on top of it all.

I'll soon be back in the game.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    933 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    By the end of this year, I hope to have £22,000 in savings. If not a bit more. That is my target though.

By the end of next year I would like at least £27,000.

My ultimate aim is to have £30,000 by the time I decide I want to move out.

I'm determined and I know I can do it. I have the motivation and reasons to. I'll get there bit by bit.

I want to always have a safety cushion, just in case. I'll find ways to save the extra money. I have a lot of things planned for the boy & I.

I plan to open up a small Ebay shop and see how that goes. This is something I need to research into properly before I take a dive. I'll invest a small sum into it.

I'm going to put myself forward for more courses, mostly related to DIY then I always have the options to do that in my spare time.

I'm also going to look at going back to university to possibly study accounting. I will still work alongside this so I have a steady stream of income.

I'm bettering myself for our future and I'll get through this. I have the wisdom and knowledge to achieve all I set out for.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    16.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done on savings Chandelier and hurrah for the lovely wedding. I'm glad you are settling into work. Have a good week.
    933 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

The wedding is finally over! It was a beautiful day and my sister looked absolutely stunning. I am so happy for them and it was good to be surrounded by friends and family.

On Friday we went for a nice meal at an italian restaurant. It was quite expensive food/drinks wise and the total for me and the boy came to just under £50 which made me wince a little. It was one of those upmarket, sophisticated type of places. I just stuck to non-alcoholic drinks which was fine by me as I am not a big drinker- I can either take it or leave it. We then went back to our hotel for the night which was beautiful. It was a lovely spacious room with views looking over the countryside.

Yesterday was very busy and we spent most of the morning getting ready and having to swap from one hotel room to another. We had a really tight schedule to stick to but we managed. I had my hair and makeup done by professionals and I was really happy with the end result. I looked like a different person altogether and it boosted my confidence.

The ceremony then went ahead followed by a wedding breakfast of afternoon tea which was amazing! As the night went on there was lots of drinking, dancing and catching up to do. Instead of favours, we were given drink tokens to use which saw me through. Aside from that, I think I only bought another one or two drinks which wasn't too bad. I just need to work out what money I owe my mum for the hotel room as we both paid for one each and then I will be straight.

Although the whole thing has cost me alot over these past twelve months, I don't regret a slight thing. It has been a wonderful journey from start to finish and lots of memories have been made, that is what mattered the most.

The only bad thing that happened was when I was leaving the venue today, I was reversing my car and some driver kept beeping their horn at me to hurry up. This made me panic and I ended up scratching my car against the side of the wall. My car now has lots of lovely scratches and a couple of dents which will most likely cost me quite a bit to repair. Oh well, things like this happen sometimes. I have a seperate dedicated car fund which has a lump of money saved for things like this and other expenses so I will just use that.

Anyway,I am officially exhausted. I am going to spend the rest of my Sunday chilling out and will catch up on a few jobs I have to do. I will just take my time and tackle them as I go along. There are some things that could possibly wait but I would rather just get them done and out the way.

Tonight, I am going to have an early night as I am back in work in the morning. I also don't feel great as I have a cold and a sore throat. I spent half the night coughing- I just hope it won't go straight to my chest again. It was only just over a month ago that I had a chest infection and if this develops into one then I am the most unlucky person ever. I had a really bad chest infection last year that developed into pneumonia and pleurisy which isn't something I would like to experience again. So I need to keep a close eye on myself and give myself a little TLC to get me through. I think I will do some small jobs then grab a shower, put on my new pyjamas and cuddle up with a blanket on the sofa. It sounds like a perfect plan to me.

This year has just flown by and it is hard to believe everything that has already happened.

2018 has been a funny one but the positives outweight the negatives.

I am trying to gain a different perspective and attitude towards life in general. I don't want to let my mental health hold me back on anything I do and I want to reach my full potential. I just need to find that fine balance between everything and do everything at my own pace. I am fed up of trying to please others and I need to do what is right for me. I am the only one in control of my own mind and body. In order to keep well, I need to take care of myself properly and set aside time to check in with myself. Although I am not where I want to be, I am not far off. With just a few tweaks and small changes, everything should fall into place. I have things that I am able to work towards and realistic goals/targets to meet which although challenging, will keep me busy. I need to pinpoint and outline exactly what I want to achieve in other areas of my life and set my mind towards working for it.

That is pretty much it really, my heads in the clouds and I am rambling on.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently