A Flat Rate of Tax Relief?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
120 replies 15K views
triplea35triplea35 Forumite
329 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
https://www.bestinvest.co.uk/news/autumn-budget-pension-tax-relief-cut

Having just read this article just wondering what people's views are on a possible flat rate of tax relief, possibly 30%. Is the article pure speculation?

As a basic rate tax payer it seems fair to me. I may delay making this years lump sum contribution.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything is speculation at this stage. It is that time of year when everyone guesses and every think tank publishes ideas and the media runs with what may be in the budget. You get articles like "10 things you will see in the budget" and post budget, you saw none of them.

Personally, I do not see anything radical as
    1) Brexit is dominating time and a finance act with this level of change is not something quick or cheap to implement.
    2) Low majority with Labour automatically voting against anything.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kidmugsykidmugsy Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    triplea35 wrote: »
    As a basic rate tax payer it seems fair to me. I may delay making this years lump sum contribution.

As a basic rate tax payer it seems unfair to me. The present system where everyone gets to pay in a bit of their gross earnings seems fairer. Except that I see no justification for salary sacrifice.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • londoninvestorlondoninvestor Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Everything is speculation at this stage. It is that time of year when everyone guesses and every think tank publishes ideas and the media runs with what may be in the budget. You get articles like "10 things you will see in the budget" and post budget, you saw none of them.

And of course, it suits BestInvest pretty well to promote speculation that might cause you to hurry to contribute into your SIPP with them.

Not that they are worse than their competitors in this regard...
  • greenglidegreenglide Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely any changes such as a single flat rate of tax relief would be complex to implement, both by HMRC and pension providers?

Surely such a change could not be implemented in time for April 2019 and would struggle to get done in time for April 2020?
  • londoninvestorlondoninvestor Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    greenglide wrote: »
    Surely any changes such as a single flat rate of tax relief would be complex to implement, both by HMRC and pension providers?

Surely such a change could not be implemented in time for April 2019 and would struggle to get done in time for April 2020?

I'd say so, because it's not just changing the rate from X% to Y%, in the way that it sometimes seems to be superficially described as.

It's breaking the model that says a contribution deducted from salary is removed from any subsequent tax calculation - and this would be a big impact on PAYE employers.
  • ColdIronColdIron Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a perennial speculation just before budgets for as long as I can remember, along with lowering the annual allowance or lifetime allowance (which does happen) and even the PCLS. Tax relief on pensions is regarded as a low hanging juicy fruit by Chancellors of all stripes. My belief is that it will happen one day, just not yet, so I would make hay while the sun shines
  • SnakeySnakey Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Budget is 26 October, if anybody hadn't heard yet. :)

They are doing OK this year I think in terms of the tax take and borrowing being at or better than forecast, so we might be alright.

The only thing I care about is getting confirmation of the timescale for raising the private pension access age. Too much to hope that they've forgotten all about it?
  • cobsoncobson Forumite
    103 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    Snakey wrote: »
    Budget is 26 October, if anybody hadn't heard yet. :)

29th October
  • ffacoffipawbffacoffipawb Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't see how this will work regarding employer contributions to defined benefit schemes as they should be allowed for in the same way as salary sacrifice because both would get around this change if they werent changed in some way.
  • SnakeySnakey Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    cobson wrote: »
    29th October
    That's what I meant. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting