Forum Home» Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance» Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges

Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion - Page 167

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

1.8K replies 455K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I used Resolver.co.uk you fill in what info you know, they will call you to go thru the details and make sure you haven't missed any lenders
    Since Resolver is just an E-Mail template, I can't see anyone from that company has rung you (or anyone else) to "go through details" or request you to sign Letters Of Authority.

Sounds very much like you've mistakenly signed up with a Claim Management Company.

I strongly suspect you'll be receiving a bill shortly, I'm afraid.

This thread is about Bank Charges, not PPI.
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since Resolver is just an E-Mail template, I can't see anyone from that company has rung you (or anyone else) to "go through details" or request you to sign Letters Of Authority.

Sounds very much like you've mistakenly signed up with a Claim Management Company.

I strongly suspect you'll be receiving a bill shortly, I'm afraid.

This thread is about Bank Charges, not PPI.

Agreed, this is could well be a CMC pretending to be resolver. Resolver just submits emails and doesn't even seem to have a phone number (iirc was just a guy's bedroom project).

If you google "resolver ppi" the first link I get is fast track reclaim which rather naughtily has "resolver ppi" in the page title.

Worth a complaint if it is a CMC though just for the hell of it
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    If you google "resolver ppi" the first link I get is fast track reclaim which rather naughtily has "resolver ppi" in the page title.
    That may account for user "Dawniemouse" apparently signing up with them in the mistaken belief that this is the Resolver website and their service is free. :(

If that user does get a bill she/he should complain to the Legal Ombudsman, making certain a screenshot of that page title is saved and provided with the complaint.

Why on earth did the poster in question sign "documentation" from this company without fully reading it first?:eek:
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That may account for user "Dawniemouse" apparently signing up with them in the mistaken belief that this is the Resolver website and their service is free. :(

If that user does get a bill she/he should complain to the Legal Ombudsman, making certain a screenshot of that page title is saved and provided with the complaint.

Why on earth did the poster in question sign "documentation" from this company without fully reading it first?:eek:

Same reason she had PPI I guess
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Same reason she had PPI I guess
    I wonder will she ever return to update this thread ?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Just stumbled across this thread. Regarding bank charges specifically Overdraft penalty charges you can claim them back successfully under the previous templates. I wrote a SAR and sent off to Halifax. Got details of all charges and wrote and asked for the sum plus 8% interest. Halifax initially refused. I went on MOCL and paid circa £120 from memory and opened up a case against them through a small claims court. Halifax appointed a solicitor and settled prior to court date. Not saying it will work for everyone but did for me.
  • Just spent 20 minutes on the phone to Halifax money management team and Halifax credit card team. Said I was going to change my current account due to their overdraft charges. Without any hassle or threats about Ombudsman, they immediately have credited £150 credit card charges back to my account and £100 overdraft charges back to my current account. Win win. Onwards and upwards to paying off the rest of the debt!!
  • Hi - so I'm totally new to this, but I do I have charges which have snowballed over the past couple of years.

I've managed to get hold of all my statements - now, what do I highlight? Just wherever it says I've been charged, or wherever it appears I was charged unreasonably? Is there such a thing as a "reasonable" bank charge? Do I highlight interest as well, or leave that?

Apologies for the amount of questions, as I say I am new! :)
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    103.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've managed to get hold of all my statements - now, what do I highlight?

Nothing. you dont need to tell the bank what they have charged. They know.
    Is there such a thing as a "reasonable" bank charge?

No. reclaiming of bank charges ended after the 2009 court case that the banks won. You are nearly a decade late on that front.
    Do I highlight interest as well, or leave that?

You dont highlight anything and you never got the interest back even back in the days you could reclaim bank charges.

If you are in current financial hardship, you can ask the bank for a goodwill gesture to help you get out of hardship. A refund of recent charges is one option available to the banks but not the only option. They could suspend future charges for a period or they could put you on a debt management plan. Or they may decide that you are not really in hardship but have just spent beyond your means.

There is no reclaiming of bank charges any more outside of that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Okay, so I was just going off the "reclaim your bank charges" (step 3 - I can't post the link) where it says: "When you receive your transaction list, go through with a highlighter and find all the relevant charges. You should also be able to note what the charge was for and decide why you think it was unfair." - just trying to be thorough! :D

And yes, I realise I am rather late to the party with this one. A lot of life stuff got in the way in the meantime and I have a *lot* of catching up to do. Still, better late than never.

I am also aware of the 2009 court case, however since I do meet the criteria for consideration it would be prudent to ask, even if there's a risk of not getting anything back.

So, what now - just explain to the banks why I think the charges might be unreasonable, then contact the Ombudsman? Does that still apply?

Here's hoping I can still sort this out. Thanks for the advice! :)