Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Cooking for one (Mark Three) - Page 446

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 8:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
13.5K replies 854.7K views

Replies

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are definitely pro and cons of living alone, financial aspects aside no one knows or cares if dinner is cake, a G&T and Strictly on TV in my PJs :p and living on your own can make you selfish :) however there are times when I would love to turn to someone and say you deal with it, like when water was pouring through kitchen ceiling or when a live creature is brought in by the cat. However close you are to family or friends sometimes it would be nice to discuss things with someone else who it impacts, but it is what it is and sometimes it's a case of pulling on your big girl pants and dealing with it :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Having defrosted a chicken breast I really didn't fancy it ... but I forced myself to cook it, to get it over with.

Served chicken breast with stuffing, yorkshires, mash, cauli, broccoli, peas, carrots, gravy :)

Didn't really enjoy it either .... :)
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening everyone,

flubberyzing I hope you werem't planning to dip the Wispa in the Bovril......:eek:

Most of the time I'm happy on my own in many ways I've always been quite solitary and don't struggle being in my own company my Gran used to call me "the cat that walked by herself":), I get a bit down after the kids have been for a visit as the house feels empty but equally I enjoy being able to do my own thing without having to consider anything else.:)
    Hope you are keeping you national insurance contributions up PN so you have enough for your pension.;) Despite having 34 years of full contributions I'm still 6 years short though I'm not doing anything about that at the moment, I'll review when I get my mortgage cleared. At moment I'm squirrelling away any "spare" money towards overpaying it and hope to have it paid off before I'm 60 if not sooner. I could clear it faster but to me there is a compromise between still living ok on a day to day basis, doing the things that are important to me, having back up savings and putting every possible penny towards it.

I had a bit of an :eek::eek: moment when I came across what I thought was HUGE HAIRY moth in the greenhouse which turned out to be a rather sweet but bemused pipstrelle bat. I was later shutting the greenhouse door last night so must have flown in after midgies and then couldn't get out. With the aid of a small soft hand brush I managed to persuade it to move from the cane it was clinging to onto one I was holding. I deposited in a quiet, shady bit and hopefully it will refind it's bearings when it gets dark.
    I got lots cleared in the veg patch, all the peas & dwarf beans are now compost as are the round courgettes. The other courgettes are still flowering so I'll see how they do. I picked a small handful if runner & french beans which I'll add to my pasta later. There are lots of toms and brambles needing picked so that can be a job for tomorrow. I must get myself organised and get the bramble vodka started this week.

I've defrosted a couple of bangers to make sausage meatballs, I've tom sauce in the freezer so just need to job some veg for a hopefully tasty pasta sauce. LO rice dish for lunch was good, sludgy but a really good flavour

• caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a quick look - bemused bat has gone:D

• Caron - is there a way you could get the missing NI contributions credited to you (ie rather than have to buy them)?

I gather they can be credited for years bringing up children?

Would one possible way to get them credited to you to be "actively seeking work"? Yes - I know you aren't fit enough to do a job (having been ill health retired) - but it's a thought as to what might be a possibility. Or would they be pushing you to apply for all sorts of jobs/"training"/etc - even though they wouldnt actually be giving you any dole money?

I think mine were credited, for instance, during periods of unemployment I had? Though - I couldnt swear to that - as I had enough for a full State Pension anyway (despite the "toing" and "froing" they did over how many years counted for 100% of it).
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caron - is there a way you could get the missing NI contributions credited to you (ie rather than have to buy them)?

I gather they can be credited for years bringing up children?

Would one possible way to get them credited to you to be "actively seeking work"? Yes - I know you aren't fit enough to do a job (having been ill health retired) - but it's a thought as to what might be a possibility. Or would they be pushing you to apply for all sorts of jobs/"training"/etc - even though they wouldnt actually be giving you any dole money?

I think mine were credited, for instance, during periods of unemployment I had? Though - I couldnt swear to that - as I had enough for a full State Pension anyway (despite the "toing" and "froing" they did over how many years counted for 100% of it).
    I'm already covered at the moment for all my years until 2017 through work /child rearing. Since then I'm getting credits through DWP due to health as deemed not fit but of course that may change! Due to pension ages changes I now need 40 years of credits to get full whack.I'll deal with any shortfall as & when I need to but tbh I'm 14 years away from qualifying and who knows what changes their might be in that time:eek:.

• bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any time on benefits inc child benefit is (or was before the latest round of reforms) credited automatically, but it's worth getting a statement of NI contributions to find out which years are cheapest to top up. It paid off for me.
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Any time on benefits inc child benefit is (or was before the latest round of reforms) credited automatically, but it's worth getting a statement of NI contributions to find out which years are cheapest to top up. It paid off for me.
    I'm currently all up to date but it's a "future year" issue unfortunately:( - I'm liking the new "HMRC Personal Tax Allowance" site - you can see exactly where you are at worth setting up if you haven't already https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account:D

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Up & about at daft o'clock, just couldn't drop back to sleep

Still dark when I had breakfast of porridge, banana, honey & yoghurt

Sun's creeping out but it looks breezy, but I think I'll stay in, I think I may be catching "something" because I was sneezing & shivering for no reason, certainly not cold enough to shiver, it's 68f, and I feel OK apart from that

I've sort of decided to make a pizza today, but the yeast I have is yonks old, it's an opened tin. I made a trial starter yeast last night just to see if it still has any spark of life in it. Frothing this morning so I've knocked more up ready for this afternoon

I'll make the dough in my Panny, not used that for a while. If it fails then it may be freezer diving for ?????, or reach for the tin opener

An ideal day for garden pottering, but not much needs doing for now, too early to winter prune and the flowers still have life in them, except my busy lizzies which are pathetic now, but only two wall baskets of them so hardly worth putting my garden clogs on for

Time for a cuppa & a Penguin
  • edited 5 September 2018 at 8:05AM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 September 2018 at 8:05AM
    Nowt much to report food-wise here - as still dieting - so it's Boring Food (designed to be as slimming as possible) currently.

Sighs....

But it's proving worth it - the "do up a belt" test I've devised shows about 1" off my waist in 10 days (despite a couple of DOD days).

Nearly into a size 12 label size dress - I can get it on comfortably, but it doesnt "fit properly" yet. With squeezing like mad I managed to do up a pair of trousers passed on by my tiny mother (real size 8). I'll get back into my real size 14 clothes yet.:)

BTW - got out the tape measure to measure up as to whether clothes are real size 14 or current label size 14 or what and then couldnt figure exactly whereabout on clothes I'm supposed to run the tape measure across. I can't figure out with some of my clothes whether they are label size 14 (ie real size 18) or real size 14 (ie would now be labelled as size 10). With the oldest clothes of all I know they were bought in the "real size" era and Marks & Spencers used to put the measurements on there, as well as the size label. These days they don't put the measurements.

Does anyone know at which points one uses a tape measure on clothes to work out what they measure (I'm guessing that with teeshirts, for instance, I'd measure across from just underneath where the armhole starts one side to just underneath where the armhole starts the other side)??