Denied Tax?!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
1 reply 581 views
KikibuzzKikibuzz Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
So I have recently purchased a car but stupidly lost the new owners slip (still awaiting the V5) so decided to fill in a form at the Post Office today to get Tax sorted. However when the cashier entered in the cars details it came up on his computer that he was unable to proceed and I had to call DVLA... it was too late to call them and now I’m wondering what could be the problem? I’ve tried to Google but no results. Could anyone please shed some light?


  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    How recently? What form did you fill out?

    According to .gov website, to tax a car at the post office you need to produce the v5c/2 if you're the new keeper. It says this:
    If you’re the new keeper, you can’t tax your vehicle without a V5C/2. You’ll need to apply for a new V5C (you can also get the form from the Post Office.) This costs £25 and it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get the new V5C.

    So I guess you'll need to wait for the v5c (at which point you will be the current keeper and be able to use the v5c or v62). Hopefully you have private land you can park the car on until then.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals