Benchmarking!

My company are offering enhanced redundancy package.We also have offices in Republic of Ireland, doing same job as UK, same contract of employment (no redundancy clause), reporting to same UK Corporate office, our accounts are consolidated into one for "UK and Ireland", but Ireland are getting an enhanced redundancy package way in excess of the UK employees.If I worked in Ireland I would receive more than double of what I will receive.My company will not explain why the disparity in the offers, other than they have carried out extensive benchmarking in both countries, and this is their decision.When we ask that in the interest of trans-parity and openness can we see the benchmarking, they refuse.What would you do?

Replies

• getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    They can offer whatever packages they like even different offers to different people in the same office.

Maybe they want more to leave the ROI. Office.

If you don't like the offer don't take it.

Is there a difference in statutory?
  • How is that not discrimination?
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    14.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    aineroo wrote: »
    How is that not discrimination?
    Actually how is it discrimination?
  • aineroo wrote: »
    How is that not discrimination?
    Because discrimination is defined in law, and what you described isn't one of the definitions.

You are of course, free to go and live in the Republic of Ireland. Where you will pay taxes well in excess of what you do in the UK. You could also go and work in India, but the rupee isn't worth much. In other words, these are two different countries, with different laws and different standards of living. So they can do what they want.

So what I would do is keep quiet, unless I wanted to see my enhanced package become statutory.
  • I was asking the discrimination question to the :"They can offer whatever packages they like even different offers to different people in the same office."....not to the Irish difference. I'm not finding replies like "go and work in Ireland" helpful at all.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    14.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    aineroo wrote: »
    I was asking the discrimination question to the :"They can offer whatever packages they like even different offers to different people in the same office."....not to the Irish difference. I'm not finding replies like "go and work in Ireland" helpful at all.

And again i'm asking how is that discrimination?
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    No discrimination to offer different incentive to get people to leave.

They can offer nothing to the ones they want to keep and loads to the ones they want to leave.

The advantage to the employer of mutual agreed termination is they don't have to be as fair as they do with the redundancy process
  • ainerooaineroo Forumite
    11 Posts
    We are in collective consultation period at the moment. I understood that what is agreed, it will then be the same for all Uk employees who opt for redundancy rather than relocation. Is there any way we can check out benchmarking? There seems to be zero information online. Not sure where we can go to get information on this?
  • tizerbelletizerbelle Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You wont get the information online anywhere. The employer sets the criteria for calculating packages based on whatever they feel appropriate to their business.
  • ainerooaineroo Forumite
    11 Posts
    tizerbelle wrote: »
    You wont get the information online anywhere. The employer sets the criteria for calculating packages based on whatever they feel appropriate to their business.
    Thank you Tizerbelle, Is there any organisation we can get benchmarking information from, even at a cost?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides