Former Iresa customers wrongly contacted by Octopus Energy - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
11 replies 1.5K views
MSE_CallumMSE_Callum Forumite
696 Posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Some customers who previously switched away from energy firm Iresa have been wrongly told their supply will soon move to Octopus Energy following Iresa's collapse - if you've been contacted in error, here's what to do...
Read the full story:
'Former Iresa customers wrongly contacted by Octopus Energy'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• RaxielRaxiel Forumite
    967 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    So basically, just sit tight and wait?

Fair enough, I had already dropped a mail to [email protected] on the subject, but as long as they're aware of the issue and not just ploughing through regardless I'm not going to worry about it until they contact me again.
  • MSE_CallumMSE_Callum Forumite
    696 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
    ✭✭
    Raxiel wrote: »
    So basically, just sit tight and wait?

Fair enough, I had already dropped a mail to [email protected] on the subject, but as long as they're aware of the issue and not just ploughing through regardless I'm not going to worry about it until they contact me again.

Exactly, sit tight and wait for now - but if you've not heard back in the next week it'd be a good idea to ring them.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: [email protected]
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
  • lqalqa Forumite
    18 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wonder if Iresa or OFGEN are getting the referral £50.:)
  • I left Iresa in august 2017 but have received a letter from octopus to say I will be transferred to them. Obviously Iresa did not remove me as a client when I left.
    I have just switched again to Avro and am keen that Octopus do not switch me to them and screw everything up.
    I phoned Octopus on 0330 808 1080 and they found me on their database and told me they were removing the transfer. Hope this works. This may be a lesson to Ofgem to be a bit more careful when the next supplier goes belly up.
  • edited 2 August 2018 at 6:41PM
    matelodavematelodave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 August 2018 at 6:41PM
    I left Iresa in august 2017 but have received a letter from octopus to say I will be transferred to them. Obviously Iresa did not remove me as a client when I left.
    I have just switched again to Avro and am keen that Octopus do not switch me to them and screw everything up.
    I phoned Octopus on 0330 808 1080 and they found me on their database and told me they were removing the transfer. Hope this works. This may be a lesson to Ofgem to be a bit more careful when the next supplier goes belly up.

Not sure that Ofgem have a lot of involvement.

I guess that IRESA just send a dump of their accounts either to Ofgem or Octopus who then have to try and sort it out.

It's pretty obvious that IRESA's accounting & databases need a fair bit of sifting through to decide who their customers are, who owes what to who. With 90,000 odd accounts there are bound to be a few (or even quite a lot) which aren't correct - probably the main reason why IRESA failed.(Mines wrong for a start but getting p'd off wont get it sorted out any quicker)

Had they all been in order then they wouldn't have had the customer service problems that have dogged them and possibly would still be trading.

I'm not going to stay with Octopus, but I do think that they need a week or so to try and sort out the mess before we all start hassling them. Otherwise we could end up overwhelming them with queries. 90,000 extra dissatisfied and disgruntled customers clogging up the switchboards wont do much improve their customer services
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • FruddFrudd Forumite
    53 Posts
    I started the process of leaving Iresa in May but unfortunately it wasnt resolved before they ceased trading. The last message I had from them was at the end of June. I have replied to them a couple of times but no reply. More annoyingly the helpdesk ticket section has gone from the customer portal so I cant look through the messages to relay to anyone else what has gone on. I know they owe me money but I dont know if it is £400 or £700 due to their opaque billing system. I was glad I was leaving given how badly they handled the whole affair. I think the way they have dealt with ceasing to trade stinks as well. I only found out this morning that they had ceased to trade because I was getting frustrated and googled 'iresa phone number' and found the OFGEM notice. The email from Octopus had gone straigh into the bin via the Junk folder and I bet I am not the only one. Iresa should have a responsibility to contact their customers themselves, there is more chance of the message getting through that way.
    £0/£2017 extra income :(
    £1070 credit card
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received an e-mail from Iresa on 27/7 and from Octopus 1/8 (and from MSECEC on 30/7).

It is not difficult to work out for yourself where your account sits.
  • FruddFrudd Forumite
    53 Posts
    molerat wrote: »
    I received an e-mail from Iresa on 27/7 and from Octopus 1/8 (and from MSECEC on 30/7).

It is not difficult to work out for yourself where your account sits.

As I said, I have left Iresa. I definitely didnt get an email from them about them going out of business. And as for the one from Octopus - I delete emails from companies I dont know without reading them all of the time.
    £1070 credit card
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frudd wrote: »
    I delete emails from companies I dont know without reading them all of the time.

The email I received was headed "IMPORTANT - Your Iresa energy Account is moving to Octopus" -surely you would have read that?

Have you actually switched to another Energy supplier -or did Iresa block the move?
  • FruddFrudd Forumite
    53 Posts
    I have switched supply but not recieved the final bill from Iresa or the credit from the account.

I had that email, as I said though, it went into my junk folder. I do a very cursory glance at the senders to see if there are any I recognise. I didnt recognise it so it went in the bin along with several hundred others.
    £1070 credit card
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides