Lifetime ISA used for first house purchase - need for mortgage

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
5 replies 644 views
Colin61Colin61 Forumite
28 Posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Hi,

i have been saving in a LISA; I hope to buy my first house soon and have about 20% deposit . Due to a family event, my parents are able to formally loan me the balance.

The Gov.uk site stipulates that LISA can only be used when "you’re buying with a mortgage". Does anyone know of any flexibility on this rule?

If not, I'll have to weigh up the costs of a minimum mortgage against the gov LISA top-up.

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My instinct was no, but the HMRC guidance at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/lifetime-isas-for-isa-managers#withdrawals-for-first-time-residential-purchase does suggest some flexibility in stating that a LISA withdrawal can be penalty-free for a first-time property purchase where (my italics):
    the property is purchased with a loan taken as a charge over the property for example a mortgage
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The underlying legislation is fairly clear that a mortgage or equivalent secured loan is required. There is no restriction on how little you borrow or how quickly you pay it off, so you need to weigh up the fees and interest against the size of the bonus you can make use of.
  • edited 30 July 2018 at 8:20PM
    kidmugsykidmugsy Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2018 at 8:20PM
    So if it is a loan from the parents, and they take a charge on the property, use of the LISA seems legit.

As I understand it, a "mortgage" is the charge on the property that's used to secure the loan - what you pay interest on is the "mortgage loan". Not that I'd expect any precision from HMRC.

Can I take it that parents can make a mortgage loan to a child without scrutiny by a regulator, demands that they have a banking licence, or suchlike fol-de-rols?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Can I take it that parents can make a mortgage loan to a child without scrutiny by a regulator, demands that they have a banking licence, or suchlike fol-de-rols?
    I looked into this previously and it would appear it would require the parents to be FCA authorised as a moneylender. Plus they would need to get a conveyancer to sign off on the arrangement.
  • WildsoundWildsound Forumite
    354 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Might be worth getting the lowest mortgage possible, with an option to repay in full without penalty then?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals