2 replies 473 views
d63d63 Forumite
299 Posts
Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
cash isa partial transfer rules query:

hello

i am somewhat confused over this business about only being allowed to transfer all of the cash you subscribe to in a new ISA , rather than part amount of an old ISA

suppose you open a brand new ISA (call it ISA-Y) for this tax year 2018/19 and pay into it, say, £5000, but a few months later ISA-Z comes along which is better, but if you want to open that you would, i think, either (a)have to close out ISA-Y and lose out on any subsequent tax advantages, or (b) go through the ISA transfer process, but then be obliged to transfer the entire £5k to ISA-Z.

But, what happens if instead you already had transferred into ISA-Y some old money, say £6K from an ISA -X opened in previous tax year say 2017/18, so now you have 5K + 6K=11K in ISA-Y.

So, (finally!) my question: are you allowed to make a part transfer of, say, £2K from ISA-Y to ISA-Z? i.e transfer part of the nominal 'old' money carried over from ISA-X, or is the smallest amount you can transfer to ISA-Z actually be £5K, i.e. all of the new money you subscribed this year to ISA-Y? Or do you even have to transfer the entire £11K to ISA-Z even though only 5K of it is actually new money?

(no doubt this is all in some FAQ somewhere, but i can't find this particular scenario alas!)

any help appreciated
thank you
D.

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals