Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Amazon £1.00 verification fee

edited 22 July 2018 at 10:05AM in Over 50s Money Saving
4 replies 1.5K views
k2150k2150 Forumite
71 Posts
edited 22 July 2018 at 10:05AM in Over 50s Money Saving
I am a long time Amazon customer using the same VISA card for years, it's not a new card.

I have a £100 balance, I purchased a set of headphones for £50. The £50 payment shows up on my statement plus a £1.00 fee which shows as pending, my available balance is now £49.00. Six days later nothing's changed my available balance remains £49.00.

Why do Amazon need to take this fee in the first place, as I have said, it's not a new card and why the need to hold it so long after I have received the goods ? anyone.

Replies

• badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amazon aren't holding it as such as it will just "drop off". I've never had this in all the years I have been buying, but is it possible your card is close to expiry & they were checking to see that it wasn't superceded.
  • alanqalanq Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    £1 reservation to check that the card is active when taking the order and the full cost of goods taken when they are dispatched?

For example: ASDA do this with groceries but only with 1p reservation.
  • bigaskbigask Forumite
    12 Posts
    k2150 wrote: »
    I am a long time Amazon customer using the same VISA card for years, it's not a new card.

I have a £100 balance, I purchased a set of headphones for £50. The £50 payment shows up on my statement plus a £1.00 fee which shows as pending, my available balance is now £49.00. Six days later nothing's changed my available balance remains £49.00.

Why do Amazon need to take this fee in the first place, as I have said, it's not a new card and why the need to hold it so long after I have received the goods ? anyone.

maybe Amazon want to verify that your account has funds before to ship any order:cool:
  • bigaskbigask Forumite
    12 Posts
    alanq wrote: »
    £1 reservation to check that the card is active when taking the order and the full cost of goods taken when they are dispatched?

For example: ASDA do this with groceries but only with 1p reservation.

it's temporary
    1£ will be refunded whitin some time
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc