Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) - Page 84

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.9K replies 276.5K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm convinced blackberries have amoebic tendencies in my freezer, there seems to be double the amount of bags every time I open the lid! I shall get to the bottom of this!!! (and of the freezer eventually)
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    They going to take over the world Mrs LW :):):)
  • VJsmumVJsmum Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could take your extra blackberries off your hands Mrs LW, i flippin love them.. :p

Used up some bacon this morning for my breakfast - i'm not a big meat eater but am even less keen on stuff going to waste.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    So do I pet! xxx
  • Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    :mad::mad: my DSis is sooooooo wasteful - pot of houmous that got forgotten in the fridge because she just jams stuff in has had to be binned :mad::mad: & half a baguette but at least the birdies can have that :) So I am just off to clean & sort the fridge yet again :mad: Rant over :D

Success on the LFHW front last night though - saut!ed lo new potatoes for DH & DSis with bacon from the freezer & I had a ginormous salad using up a whole living lettuce (which had started to wilt even though I was watering it daily), two thirds bag of rocket, tomatoes, radishes, green pepper, spring onions incl. the green bits :T, the last 2 slices of bacon from the packet, a slice of haslet, small amount of dressing & a tblsp of coleslaw. Had half about 7 p.m. & the other half about 8:30 p.m. it was scrummy :drool:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives.

Savings Pot Challenge 1.10.20 to 31.12.20: £23.20 to 6.12.20
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • YorksLassYorksLass Forumite
    737 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I can't remember who said that they cut spring onions from the green end for salad, but thanks. what a fab tip :) As I only cut a bit to go in our salad, a bunch really lasts for ages

'Twas me, HTH.
    JackieO wrote: »
    Its awfully hard to run down the freezers and I have spent the last few months trying to do it just so I can defrost the blooming thing.I swear stuff multiplies in there :):)
    doesn't help that my neighbours bless them give me their overspill stuff from their gardens /allotments and I'm just a gal who can't say no :) JackieO xx

Oh no Jackie, an earworm song that I'll be humming for the next few days! :D

The weather here in Yorkshire has been more bearable for the last few days and we managed to have a "proper" dinner on Sunday, a pork & red pepper casserole with mash and spring greens. There was a bit of casserole left over but not quite enough to stretch to another meal. Not wanting to add yet more to the freezer, I had a think about what to do with it. In the end, I whizzed it up in the liquidiser with a teaspoon of chilli powder, added water until it was soup consistency and stirrred in the mixed beans that were left over from last night's salad. Voila, a hearty pork & bean soup that will do us for lunch tomorrow. :):):)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
    0 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    our gas is currently turned off as we had a leak and all the internal pipes will have to be replaced.
    Luckily, having the gas turned off for the best part of the week shouldn't be too much of an issue. We have an electric shower and don't need the heating on at the moment anyway.
    As for cooking - we have electric oven, microwave, kettle, toaster and lucky also an electric pressure cooker so can still make most things albeit with a bit more faff.
    I'm trying to use up all the short shelf life veg from the YS haul too as they all have a use by date of last Sunday.
    Made roast mediterranean veg with toasted pittas and tahini dressing tonight which was great and we have it all the time anyway.
    Just about to use up the stir fry veg, 1 packet of choy sum, carrots and broccoli rice to make a huge stir fry for tomorrow's and Thursday's work lunch (my pressure cooker has a saut!e option )
    I've trimmed and blanched the green beans and put them in the freezer.
    Will probably make a big Thai yellow curry tomorrow night to use up some odds and ends and feed us for a couple of nights.
    Then we'll be left with some non-urgent veg like sprouts, cabbage and peppers so will do something with those at the weekend.
    All the fruit from the YS haul was gone by Monday morning. My son is a little fruit bat and OH and I are obsessed as well.
    I ate 1,5kg of mango between Saturday night and Monday morning.
    Thoroughly enjoying this YS haul still!
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeysMummy2cheekymonkeys Forumite
    327 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Asked OH to pop to the shop for a loaf of bread last night and he came back loaded up with YS fruit and veg. Not quite as good as your haul moguline lol. He got
    4 packs cavolo Nero
    1.5kg king Edward potatoes
    3 bags carrots
    5 bags of shallots
    2 heads of broccoli
    1 cauliflower
    3 bags of pears
    1 bag of diced carrot and swede
    2 packs of 2 avocados
    1 aubergine
    1 pack of leeks
    All for £2.82
    First things first will be a big batch of minestrone I think.might try to do this with some of the kale
    http://www.gettystewart.com/how-to-freeze-kale-in-convenient-pucks/
  • Hopeless_CaseHopeless_Case Forumite
    948 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭
    JackieO wrote: »
    Its awfully hard to run down the freezers and I have spent the last few months trying to do it just so I can defrost the blooming thing.I swear stuff multiplies in there :):)
    doesn't help that my neighbours bless them give me their overspill stuff from their gardens /allotments and I'm just a gal who can't say no :)

JackieO xx
    I know, mine really needs defrosting but is still packed full:eek:
    I'm convinced blackberries have amoebic tendencies in my freezer, there seems to be double the amount of bags every time I open the lid! I shall get to the bottom of this!!! (and of the freezer eventually)
    I agree, I've still got so many from the ones I picked last year, and this year's crop i starting to ripen already :rotfl:
    YorksLass wrote: »
    'Twas me, HTH.

Oh no Jackie, an earworm song that I'll be humming for the next few days! :D

The weather here in Yorkshire has been more bearable for the last few days and we managed to have a "proper" dinner on Sunday, a pork & red pepper casserole with mash and spring greens. There was a bit of casserole left over but not quite enough to stretch to another meal. Not wanting to add yet more to the freezer, I had a think about what to do with it. In the end, I whizzed it up in the liquidiser with a teaspoon of chilli powder, added water until it was soup consistency and stirrred in the mixed beans that were left over from last night's salad. Voila, a hearty pork & bean soup that will do us for lunch tomorrow. :):):)
    It does, thank you :):D
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have used up a 'lingering' sweet potato this morning and made a sweet potato and mozzarella kibbeh bake. I've tasted a corner as it came out of the oven and it's rather tasty, definitely one to make again. I had a friends dog with me for the day yesterday and bless her she disappeared when mum came to collect her and we found her picking blackberries from the lower branches of the bushes, love that Maisie dog. I've managed to persuade her mum that she'd like the next picking too, woohoo!!!