Screwed while travelling - new security

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
6 replies 1.2K views
NemodotNemodot Forumite
13 Posts
10 Posts First Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I am travelling and all my credit cards wont work now to pay online for flights and hotels etc as suddenly verified by visa and MasterCard secure want to send me a text. To my UK number that isnt working in Indonesia.

What an awful mechanism. I wasted a lot of money phoning each of my banks to get around it and they say not their problem. So looks like I have to change my phone number wherever I go online then hope that gets picked up by verified by visa etc.

So beware when travelling now! I have 8 cards to avoid failure issues but all have one bottleneck now with same mobile issue.
:mad:

Replies

• stevenhp1987stevenhp1987 Forumite
    907 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Why would your UK number not work abroad?

Even if it costs you a fortune to make outgoing calls / texts, you should still be able to receive texts no problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    This is an issue with your phone or carrier, not a CC
  • ChinoChino Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Why would your UK number not work abroad?
    !!! wrote: »
    This is an issue with your phone or carrier, not a CC
    Congratulations to both of you for missing the point of the OP's post.
  • stevenhp1987stevenhp1987 Forumite
    907 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Chino wrote: »
    Congratulations to both of you for missing the point of the OP's post.

How so?

I wasn't aware Mastercard/Visa were doing two factor auth, but if they are then that's great as the improved security is only a benefit and is designed to help combat fraud.

The problem is not with Mastercard/Visa or their bank, but with their phone carrier / phone device. They are correct to use two factor auth to help bolster security. Otherwise you'll end up with posts titled "help, my bank auth'd £2,000 transactions online abroad that I didn't make" or "My urgent transaction was blocked by the automatic anti-fraud system" - Two factor auth proves you auth'd it so the later, which is commonplace now, becomes redundant.

They need to find out why they are not receiving texts, which is rather odd.
  • Emily_JoyEmily_Joy Forumite
    514 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Receiving a text is always free, calls using skype cost next to nothing. I would get a local SIM/cheap mobile phone and ask the UK operator to redirect everything.

I suspect there might be connection issues in Indonesia (e.g. 3G may not work which would result in no service whatsoever from 3 mobile).
  • edited 10 July 2018 at 7:27PM
    eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 July 2018 at 7:27PM
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    I suspect there might be connection issues in Indonesia (e.g. 3G may not work which would result in no service whatsoever from 3 mobile).
    There is Hutchison Three network in Indonesia, which Three UK can roam on with 'Feel at Home'. It's 2G and 3G only I believe, whereas 4G is widespread on other networks.

I also don't understand why an SMS could not be received in Indonesia with any UK network.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals