MSE News: Got an Amex charge card? How to save £140 a year or bag two extra airport lounge passes...

in Credit Cards
9 replies 3.9K views
Former_MSE_KarlFormer_MSE_Karl Former MSE
175 Posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
MSE Staff
Anyone who holds an American Express Preferred Rewards Gold card can save on the £140 annual fee and bag two free lounge passes by getting the new, near-identical credit card alternative...
Read the full story:

'Got an Amex charge card? How to save £140 a year or bag two extra airport lounge passes
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• edited 3 May 2018 at 12:34PM
    diggeroonydiggeroony Forumite
    5 Posts
    edited 3 May 2018 at 12:34PM
    I am after some advise on this card please, i have never owned a credit card and have a good credit history. I have the intention of getting this credit card and just using it for the lounge passes as i am visiting a number of airports this year and i thought it would make sense to get 2 free visits & then my additonal visit would only cost me £15 each. Once i have used it on my airport visits i would cancel the card as it would no longer be of use to me.

Can anyone advise me if this is sensible or not ?

Thanks
  • newuser86newuser86 Forumite
    312 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Yes that is an option. A lot of people apply, get the bonus points and the passes and then cancel and reapply after 6 months. It's always good to have a credit card for s75 cover and also to build up a good credit history. Just make sure you pay the amount off each month.
  • chutney51chutney51 Forumite
    17 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary
    Forumite
    I already have a platinum cash back card. I'm trying to figure out if I will earn the 20,000 points if I apply for this new card. Has anybody with a platinum card applied and received them?
  • ACCAACCA Forumite
    56 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Very similar question as the prior poster - if I hold a BA amex already, will I be eligible for the 20,000 points reward at all?
  • Phil64jonesPhil64jones Forumite
    1 Post
    Second Anniversary
    Can I apply for an Amex Preferred Rewards Gold card if I've had one (& then cancelled after a year) previoulsy?
  • chutney51chutney51 Forumite
    17 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ok answering myself and hopefully the other posters.
    As my card is a different scheme - cashback not rewards points - I will be eligible to get the 20,000 points. ACCA I think you would get it as the BA card is for avios points, so again a different scheme. Phil, I'm not sure as your card was the same scheme although the break might help you.
    Best thing to do is to phone them and double check.
  • Hi all,

I know this is an older thread, but I am looking to move from Amex Gold charge card to Amex Gold Credit Card. I've not used my 2 free lounge passes this year and was wondering if I can keep them even after I close my charge card. Anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks,
    Gary
  • No you can't. Are you still in your first year of the charge card?
  • No, I'm into my chargeable years now, so would probably want to move to the free card sooner... Although would be great if there was a way to keep my accrued points and still get the welcome bonus on my new card, but think those loopholes have been closed off too.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals