Car insurance cancelled due to wrong occupation

124»

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Your best bet is probably to flee the country and start life again somewhere on the other side of the world.
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moral of the story is honesty pays, lies will eventually be found out. I'm afraid OP you have pay for your mistakes, there's not getting round it
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • garth549garth549 Forumite
    485 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    dacouch wrote: »
    This would mean they won't pay the claim (Although might be on the hook via MIB) and ultimately your Insurers or the other insurers or possibly the MIB may be looking to retrieve the claims costs from you

Can they do this? I've always been under the impression that if a policy was 'active' at the time of an accident then there was no way they could deny third party claims. (Even if it transpired later that the policy was taken out fraudulently and voided.)

Just curious!
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    garth549 wrote: »
    Can they do this? I've always been under the impression that if a policy was 'active' at the time of an accident then there was no way they could deny third party claims. (Even if it transpired later that the policy was taken out fraudulently and voided.)

Just curious!

yes they can, policy was taken out under deception just like lying about penalty points or previous claims
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    garth549 wrote: »

Just curious!

It is possible to void the policy "Ab initio", however this is very rare and reserved for serious deception when taking out a policy.

The Insurer would still be liable for the third party losses but instead it would be a liability under the MIB. This gives the Insurer a little more protection.

It would also allow the Insurer the chance of recovering their outlay from their policyholder
  • KeysMcKKeysMcK Forumite
    82 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Kshah786 said:
    As the title says my car insurance was cancelled due to my occupation bieng wrong.

3 weeks ago i took out car insurance with a broker Go skippy. I got insurance with them. However i had not changed my occupation on the comparison website. I had previously wrote down graphic designer. However when getting a new quote i didnt change this. A week later i got asked to prove my occupation details and i sent in my current employment letter without any issues. I then rang them to ask if they had received my email. Go skippy said that they need proof of graphic designer i said thats is an old job and it needs changing over. They said they will put me through the indemnity team which was Eldon insurance. Eldon insurance told me that this is not an issue because there was confusion and a small mistake on my side for not updating my comparison profile. She said that its not a big issue and that all they have to do is let the Underwritter Southern rock know and for them to update the details. I may have to pay or get a refund if the job title affects the premium. She said that it can take upto a week to update. This was 2 days ago.
    I have just had an email from go skippy saying the underwriters have cancelled my policy. The office is now closed so i need to call tomorrow.
    In this time while this was going on. My sister is the named driver and she drove into someone and wrote the car off. The other party is claiming injury and car repair. I am so stressed right now. I dont know what to do.
    I spoke to the FSA and they said it is a bit extreme to cancel the policy over an occupation. He advised me to complain to Eldon and Go skippy and see what they say. If i am still not happy i will have to tell the FSA again.

Thanks

P.s sorry if it is too much reading and grammer is terrible.
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I’d be intrigued to know what happened here?? Did you manage to get away (relatively) scott free? 

No reason, I’m just nosy and want to know how the story ended! 
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals