Atrixa's First Step to the Property Ladder

Replies

• savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done on the pay rise and all the funds.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    320 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I had a gander at some other energy companies to see if I could cut my electricity bill a bit and move to a company that supports my meter fully (economy 10). The online quotes I got were all more expensive than what I'm paying now. There were two or three companies that only quoted over the phone, so I might ring them when I have a day off at the end of the month to see what they can offer. Every little helps and all that!
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    320 Posts
    ✭✭
    Got paid yesterday and went to open a Help to Buy ISA today. How my savings are looking:
    Holiday fund: £86.29/£310
    Help to Buy ISA: £100/£7,000
    Emergency Fund £500 (fully funded!)

More news on the job front. I actually have an interview at a place tomorrow, so fingers crossed! The salary looks much better and it's closer to where I live.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    320 Posts
    ✭✭
    Ugh. What a waste of time that interview was. Recruitment agent told me it was permanent but it was actually fixed term. They lied to me then lied to the employer, saying I knew it was fixed term. Such unscrupulous people out there...
    16.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awful. I don't like agencies. They really are unscrupulous.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    320 Posts
    ✭✭
    That's awful. I don't like agencies. They really are unscrupulous.
    Yeah, they just offer you the world and don't deliver. I wasted so much time preparing as well, so frustrating.

Discovered that my Virgin Media contract is coming to an end this month. I'll give them a ring after easter to haggle for a cheaper contact. It's gone up by £3 ish for next month. :mad:
    16.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check on the internet broadband area on MSE there were loads of deals a couple of weeks ago which will help bargaining.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    320 Posts
    ✭✭
    Check on the internet broadband area on MSE there were loads of deals a couple of weeks ago which will help bargaining.
    Will do, thanks :)
  • KittikinsKittikins Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had that whole fixed term/permanent mix up as well recently, when I went to look around a school and got my hopes up (I'm a teacher, currently in a not very nice school) and during the unofficial interview with the head, it turned out she'd put an advert in incorrectly! Grrr....

Thankfully I've now found a fab school to move to in September with a permanent role!
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    320 Posts
    ✭✭
    Kittikins wrote: »
    I had that whole fixed term/permanent mix up as well recently, when I went to look around a school and got my hopes up (I'm a teacher, currently in a not very nice school) and during the unofficial interview with the head, it turned out she'd put an advert in incorrectly! Grrr....

Thankfully I've now found a fab school to move to in September with a permanent role!

It's so disappointing isn't it! Great news on the new job though :)

A reasonable win for me today- I ran up my broadband/tv/phone provider and got £9.22 off my bills for the next 18 months. I probably should have haggled a bit more but other companies weren't offering much less for an inferior service, from my experience. Just need to remember to ring round some energy companies at some point, I hate economy 10.