Can anyone help with this one please

I bought my house in 1994 at the it was work £26000 I was put in band Bbut after doing a check I should have been in band A because it was under £4000 , now the thing is the year after I bought it I had my loft turned into a bedroom without any extensions and it was then classed as 4 bedrooms instead of 3bedrooms , I an now wondering if I try to change my council band to A and claim back money cos I was in the wrong band that I might be put in a higher band because of the improvement I made I E the loft bedroom , my naighbours are in the same band and one of the As added an extension the other one as done nothing to her house , so now I’m worried if I try to change the band I will make it more expensive, thanks for reading


  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    In most areas 1994 house prices were significantly lower than 1991.

    As you have carried out improvements since 1 April 1993 then the legislation says your band cannot be increased because of these improvements.

    However I am not certain whether these improvements can be reflected when a reduction is sought. I have a feeling they should not be, but would suggest you contact the VOA itself to confirm or otherwise.
  • moutardmoutard Forumite
    347 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thank you so much for your rely ,really helped
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides