Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

edited 10 June 2010 at 4:34PM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
1.8K replies 456.1K views

Replies

• Hi

Helping my OH sort out his finances - he's still on a debt management plan and makes goodwill payments to other lenders (setup before DMP) but now back on top of mortgage (until recently 3 months behind).

Having just used Resolver for PPI elements (awaiting results) wondering if any way can do this for bank charges?

Thanks in advance
  • NearlyoldNearlyold Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Your OH should talk to his bank and see if they can help (if he has not already done so), if he is currently in financial hardship they may be willing to make a goodwill gesture by waiving charges for a period or similar. Sending in a complaint about past bank charges unless they were incorrectly applied will get him nowhere, (unless you are talking about packaged account fees).
  • Hi all
    Been tidying up some age old paperwork, and discovered old statements from my wifes accounts before we were married, the accounts were closed n 2006 . The charges on them are crazy so I followed the steps on MSE to ask for the charges back. I've got a letter back from Lloyds basically saying they won't give me anything as it is beyond 6 years, they also state that the ombudsmen would agree.
    Is this worth pursuing? and if so how do I answer the bank?
    thats
    J
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all
    Been tidying up some age old paperwork, and discovered old statements from my wifes accounts before we were married, the accounts were closed n 2006 . The charges on them are crazy so I followed the steps on MSE to ask for the charges back. I've got a letter back from Lloyds basically saying they won't give me anything as it is beyond 6 years, they also state that the ombudsmen would agree.
    Is this worth pursuing? and if so how do I answer the bank?
    thats
    J

No. The banks won the unfair charges case back in 2009. There hasnt been any claiming back of unfair charges since then.

The only thing they or the FOS look at now are current hardship cases where goodwill refunds may be given. However, that will not apply in your case, even if you are in hardship, as you are not a current customer of theirs.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I've got a letter back from Lloyds basically saying they won't give me anything as it is beyond 6 years, they also state that the ombudsmen would agree.
    Even if it had been more recently than six years ago you still wouldn't have received a refund of your wife's bank charges.
    Nowadays, only people in the Bank's definition of CURRENT hardship are sometimes granted such refunds.

Your wife no longer even has an account with this bank and her charges are therefore historical.

The MSE article does point all this out, but many still seem to follow the steps regardless.
  • Hi,
    Im not in financial hardship, but i know years ago i did get some charges from my old bank account. can i still claim?
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. .
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Im not in financial hardship, but i know years ago i did get some charges from my old bank account. can i still claim?

No. You are 9 years too late.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    No. You are 9 years too late.

story of my life lol
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the benefit of the doubt you were expecting? At the start you said you were 'guilty'. There doesn't seem to be any doubt.