A Harnor Product Wills

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
8 replies 1.1K views
TCHarleyTCHarley Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
I wonder if someone could please help me.

I'm trying to date a will - the DIY kind you can buy over the counter - or now - online.

The will in question claims to have been written and signed by my granmother, her mother and hsuband in 1987, yet the very same will kit, the same layout and design, is still available on Amazon, almost 31 years later.

The will is supplied as 'A Harnor product’ (see attached image) and yet I can't find any information about them - other than a listing on the Companies House website, which seems to be about a company that provided plastic goods and only started business in 2003.

I only have a scan of the will and are unlikely to see the orginial, so I'm hoping someone could determine when exactly this will kit became avaialble.

Thank you in advance.

T.

Replies

• G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    An undated will is unlikely to be valid.
  • Yorkshireman99Yorkshireman99 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    G_M wrote: »
    An undated will is unlikely to be valid.
    The OP says the will IS dated! The OP is querying the fact that the same will pack is still available but that is no reason to doubt the validity of the will.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ones for sale on Amazon, look like rather old fashioned generic wills that may simply have been copied from old versions out there. There is current no such company registered, just the one wound up unrelated company of the same name, so I think it is going to be very difficult to prove the will is a fake based on the limited info available on such blank wills.
  • Tom99Tom99 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is it going to help you when you can prove the will must have been dated after 1987?
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is your grandmother still alive ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • jackyannjackyann Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope OP will clarify, but I suspect that they have seen a scan of the will, which contains something of interest to them. The scan didn't show the date, so in deciding whether to pursue the matter, they are seeking information.
    OP - I presume that you know that once wills have passed probate, they are public documents?
    And FYI, I think that the layout of DIY will forms has not changed much. The kind you download and complete on your computer before printing and signing has, but the kind you buy over the counter and fill in by hand hasn't, generally (but I can't comment on that company)
  • Margot123Margot123 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Just for information, the same DIY will my late Great Aunt signed back in 1981 is still available in exactly the same format.
    They are very basic documents, and tend to be prepared with olde-worldy typefaces, so they perhaps see no reason to change them as that is what people expect wills to look like.
  • Yorkshireman99Yorkshireman99 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Margot123 wrote: »
    Just for information, the same DIY will my late Great Aunt signed back in 1981 is still available in exactly the same format.
    They are very basic documents, and tend to be prepared with olde-worldy typefaces, so they perhaps see no reason to change them as that is what people expect wills to look like.
    It would be helpful if the OP clarified the status of the will and the testator. When and if did the testaor die? Has the will been admitted to probate? If the will has been probated than the OP can easily obtain a copy from the Probate office.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals