MSE News: How your email address can affect your insurance premium

edited 26 January 2018 at 6:21PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
7 replies 2.4K views
MSE_Megan_FMSE_Megan_F Former MSE
418 Posts
Newshound!
✭✭
edited 26 January 2018 at 6:21PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Some insurance companies have admitted they may give different quotes on car insurance depending on which email address you use - but there are more surefire things to check to ensure you save at renewal...
Read the full story:
'How your email address can affect your insurance premium'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IN order to avoid missing out on cashback I ran my quote through the comparison sites with equivalent but made up name, car done via model search not number plate etc and the quotes came back 300 more than when I put real details suggesting they cross reference credit agencies for an identity check so perhaps they also cross-reference email addresses, so perhaps it is not the domain that matters but any info they have already linked to that email address?
    I think....
  • One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    56.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    [email protected] got lower quotes than [email protected] - I'm amazed
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And running the exact same quote with identical details can also give different figures so how thorough was the testing process?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• 2013yearofthehouse2013yearofthehouse Forumite
    3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    When shopping around for quotes (either via comparison sites or direct with insurers) I use a don’t-care-if-I-get-lots-of-spam email address and then when I’ve found who I want to use I start again and this time use my important-stuff email address (which uses a different domain) for the purchase, or a family members email address if I’m helping them out with their purchase, and I have found the quote price to be identical every time. Must have done it 50+ times in the last 10+ years (the most recent being last month) and never ever has the price changed, not even by 1p!
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Enter the "email address lottery scandal", just like the post code lottery.

But if your real address has a statistical effect on claims likelihood, unrelated to any real factors that can be explained by commonsense, then there is no reason why email addresses shouldn't work in the same way.

If you can afford to purchase an upmarket email address then probably you will be a safer driver. My Cambridge university alumni address ***@cantab.net probably gives me a lower insurance risk than ***@essexchavs.yob
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    When shopping around for quotes (either via comparison sites or direct with insurers) I use a don’t-care-if-I-get-lots-of-spam email address and then when I’ve found who I want to use I start again and this time use my important-stuff email address (which uses a different domain) for the purchase, or a family members email address if I’m helping them out with their purchase, and I have found the quote price to be identical every time. Must have done it 50+ times in the last 10+ years (the most recent being last month) and never ever has the price changed, not even by 1p!

That's interesting, and mirrors exactly my own experience using a mailinator throwaway email address for trial quotes.
  • Somerset_La_La_LaSomerset_La_La_La Forumite
    995 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    michaels wrote: »
    IN order to avoid missing out on cashback I ran my quote through the comparison sites with equivalent but made up name, car done via model search not number plate etc and the quotes came back 300 more than when I put real details suggesting they cross reference credit agencies for an identity check so perhaps they also cross-reference email addresses, so perhaps it is not the domain that matters but any info they have already linked to that email address?

They definitely use a CRA search - despite Admiral telling me several times they don't. And that I didn't need to tell them about bankruptcy because they didn't ask.

I would assume that no match is higher risk for the majority of people, but if you have bad credit like me - no match seems to actually be cheaper!

Recently moved house, got quote at new address (not even a Electoral Roll entry yet) and think it was over £300 cheaper than my previous address.

Area's aren't too different. To prove it wasn't just the postcode causing it, I did my old address with a fake name (so no ER match) and it came up cheaper than my real quotes at old address with my real name.

Difference between my two no-CRA quotes was only about £50, so clearly them not being able to trace me on CRA search made quite a difference. Will be interesting to see what my renewal premium is! And, although accepting auto-renewal is usually more pricey, it may actually be cheaper than running a fresh search and them/others 'discovering' my credit history and charging a bomb for ex-bankruptcy.
    Used to work in Underwriting. Only the lender can give a definitive answer to queries
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals