Train tickets. On the day price?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
8 replies 1.3K views
RatleRatle Forumite
18 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
So I can find out how much it would cost to by train tickets in advance but how can I find the price that I would be charged if I buy on the day? I may not be able to choose a particular train in advance and I am thinking that two single tickets purchased on the day may be just as cheap.
Ruabon to Rugby 10th feb after 7.00am and Rugby to Ruabon 11th feb after 1.00pm.
As far as I can see no one seems to publish on day ticket prices. Many thanks

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    26.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't know what train you're getting, then look at anytime tickets. Unless you know you'll definitely be travelling off peak times. Off peak is cheaper and you get get any train outside of the specified hours
    Some tickets are online only though, apparently.
    Have you looked on the national rail website? If you put in several dates (including today) it'll give you an idea as to how much variation there is.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    An off-peak return from Ruabon to Rugby is £49.90, which isn't valid on trains scheduled to depart before 04:15 (so pretty much valid on any train). No doubt splitting your ticket will get the fare down

Source:
    http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=RUA&dest=RUG
  • cookie365cookie365 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    All tickets except 'advances' are walk up fares that you can buy on the day and don't change price.

The off peak return @Kite2010 mentions is the most flexible - and as the 10th and 11th are weekends you can take any train.

You can probably save about £10 getting advances on the Ruabon to Birmingham legs, with an off peak return from Birmingham to Rugby, but you're committing yourself to those specific trains. Miss the train (except due to a train delay on a previous leg), tough: buy a new ticket.
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some companies - Crosscountry for instance - let you book cheaper tickets for specific trains on the day if there are any left up to 15 minutes before departure. Not sure if this applies to the company operating your route

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/last-minute
  • RatleRatle Forumite
    18 Posts
    cookie365 - as I understand it if you buy an off peak return in advance you are committed to the time of the first train that you enter, though the second train is flexible. I think you are saying that I can buy an off peak return on the train (station has no ticket office) for the same price????
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ratle wrote: »
    cookie365 - as I understand it if you buy an off peak return in advance you are committed to the time of the first train that you enter,
    No. An 'off peak return' is a flexible ticket, you can take any train that satisfies the off peak conditions, and they cost the same regardless of whether you buy them on the day or a month before.

However, there are specific tickets called 'advance' single tickets which must be bought in theory at latest midnight the day before though as @martindow says some companies are flexible about that. There's only a limited number, once they're gone they're gone. You can only use them of the specified train. Getting on another train is equivalent to getting on without a ticket.

For the first leg from Ruabon on the way out and the last leg to Ruabon on the way back you can save around £10 with inflexible 'advances' sandwiching a flexible off peak return from Birmingham to Rugby.
    though the second train is flexible.
    The Birmingham to Rugby and back bit, yes.
    I think you are saying that I can buy an off peak return on the train (station has no ticket office) for the same price????
    Yes. You can't buy 'advance' tickets on the train as I mentioned. If there's a ticket machine or office at the station you start out at you have to buy a ticket before you travel, otherwise you can buy on the train.

If you're buying the Ruabon - Birmingham bit in advance you might as well buy the middle bit at the same time, but as long as you do so at or before Birmingham you'll be fine.

The £10 odd saving does make for a slightly complex set of tickets and restrictions, with potentially expensive banana skins if your circumstances change, whereas just rocking up on the day and asking for a return to Rugby coming back tomorrow is as simple as it gets.

How important is it to you to save £10?
  • RatleRatle Forumite
    18 Posts
    Thank you so much everybody - amazing that people give their time. Very much appreciated - I think I will buy my off peak return on the train as the risk of missing the right train is not worth the saving.
    Many thanks.
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You're welcome, and I think you've made the right choice.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides