Potential bidder wants to collect

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
10 replies 1.7K views
claire07claire07 Forumite
605 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
I have searched back through similar threads and would appreciate advice how to word my reply. I have items on auction plus postage and a potential bidder wants to know if he could collect if he wins.

I don't mind but I am concerned of falling foul of ebay's new rules so am probably overthinking it but if I reply that he can and I will send a revised invoice if he wins for cash on collection is there anything risky about that? (and give my address obviously).

He is a business seller so I can see his address and it is local.

I would appreciate any advice.

Replies

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reply to the effect that you do allow collections but bidding must be via eBay. I wouldn't explain about invoicing etc, he's a seller so he knows how it works. I certainly wouldn't make any reference to your address, that's a sure fire way to get a restriction.

As you can see his address you should be able to see his email. Nothing to stop you contacting him direct.
  • bigstevexbigstevex Forumite
    859 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Fyi, don't allow collections and payment via paypal together. You would have no proof they got the item. I only ever allow collections when they pay cash, nothing at all wrong with this or against the rules
  • Tyler_DuTyler_Du Forumite
    712 Posts
    ✭✭
    Odd, I've had a buyer ask the same thing today, wants me to change the auction to best offer and for me to accept his offer and therefore end the auction. Says he will collect and pay in cash.

If I do so whats to stop him paying via PP collecting the item and then pulling a fast one. Don't want to rise the sale / my account over a few pounds
  • Tyler_DuTyler_Du Forumite
    712 Posts
    ✭✭
    Odd, I've had a buyer ask the same thing today, wants me to change the auction to best offer and for me to accept his offer and therefore end the auction. Says he will collect and pay in cash.

If I do so whats to stop him paying via PP collecting the item and then pulling a fast one. Don't want to rise the sale / my account over a few pounds

I've offered the buyer a price, he now wants to pay straight away and for me to send him the item. !!!!!! the price I gave him was for cash on collection. Think I'll let the auction run its course.
  • charlies_mumcharlies_mum Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've offered the buyer a price, he now wants to pay straight away and for me to send him the item. !!!!!! the price I gave him was for cash on collection. Think I'll let the auction run its course.

Under no circumstances end the auction. There are messages from you to the potential buyer offering him a price and eBay will assume that you have done a deal outside eBay

I had this situation, ended the auction and relisted as a buy it now so the buyer could purchase and I got a warning even though the sale went through eBay.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under no circumstances end the auction. There are messages from you to the potential buyer offering him a price and eBay will assume that you have done a deal outside eBay

I had this situation, ended the auction and relisted as a buy it now so the buyer could purchase and I got a warning even though the sale went through eBay.

No need to do that.

Just get the buyer to bid and then end the auction to the highest bidder.

I have done this twice now with no problems.
  • edited 24 January 2018 at 9:42AM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 January 2018 at 9:42AM
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    No need to do that.

Just get the buyer to bid and then end the auction to the highest bidder.

I have done this twice now with no problems.

That only works though if the seller is happy to take the starting price and not a higher offer. If you end the item early to sell to highest bidder, which is allowed on ebay, then the highest bid - or start price if there is only 1 bid, wins.

It's a tricky one as it can be expensive to add a BIN to an auction which makes it un economical sometimes to take an offer and try and get it through the ebay system- this is another one of eBay's changes that has issues for customer services.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • I have been selling on ebay for several years and have let people collect on several occasions. Everyone have been genuine and really nice people. A few times, once when I was selling a gold necklace at quite a high price, I've been asked to post to Nigeria and odd requests like that, then you smell a rat! Just communicate with the potential buyer and you get a feel if things are not quite right.
  • claire07claire07 Forumite
    605 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Many thanks for all who responded to my query about how to reply to the chap who would like to collect if he wins.

I think my concerns after reading how ebay have changed the rules resulting in some sellers being suspended may have overridden my commonsense. Everything seemed more straightforward a few years ago!
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Spatchelor wrote: »
    I have been selling on ebay for several years and have let people collect on several occasions. Everyone have been genuine and really nice people. A few times, once when I was selling a gold necklace at quite a high price, I've been asked to post to Nigeria and odd requests like that, then you smell a rat! Just communicate with the potential buyer and you get a feel if things are not quite right.

The issue isn't the collection here, it is how to safely exchange details to arrange it without falling foul of eBay's new rules about off ebay sales which many of us have already got warnings for!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides