New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.4K replies 252K views

Replies

• beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I know! If I'd put towels on the line I think they'd be frozen solid :rotfl:

Me too:rotfl::rotfl:
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts

But on the bright side - they'd be snow white...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky." OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • wishingthemortgaheawaywishingthemortgaheaway Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure I've read novels where the characters put the washing out to 'freeze dry' in the winter, maybe we should experiment.

Where I am, however they would have just got more wet.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... across the pond, we do indeed put sheets and towels out to freeze dry in the winter...
    ... but...
    1) the climate even in winter is much dryer so they actually dry...
    2) you need to prepare for sheets that snap in half because they are frozen solid and then need to be stitched back together!
    3) hanging out laundry in a foot of snow and then retrieving it in two is NOT fun!
    :rotfl:
    4 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Finally managing to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great progress yesterday KC! And re SBs - I think they put the goal up on days when they're giving out lots of codes... cheeky isn't it?!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    All this talk of towels has been really entertaining:T

I put mine out on the line yesterday as we hadn't had a good drying day for ages. Our house electrics are in a sorry state (awaiting a full rewire) and I have to be forever alternating what's plugged into the few sockets that the electrician has said are operational (hence limited tumble dryer use.):eek:

It was cold but bright so I risked hanging them all out (they'd accumulated somewhat:o) including 3 big bath sheets. I used 8 pegs for each towel as it was so windy yet they kept pinging out and having to be replaced:eek:. In the end I brought them in semi-wet. There's either no breeze or a howling gale round here:(
  • wishingthemortgaheawaywishingthemortgaheaway Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    ... across the pond, we do indeed put sheets and towels out to freeze dry in the winter...
    ... but...
    1) the climate even in winter is much dryer so they actually dry...
    2) you need to prepare for sheets that snap in half because they are frozen solid and then need to be stitched back together!
    3) hanging out laundry in a foot of snow and then retrieving it in two is NOT fun!
    :rotfl:

Thank you for sharing this, I really had no idea, and your post is such a revelation.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • earthgirlearthgirl Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great progress karma and I couldn’t hang anything out here, parts of my body would freeze, not fun!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, the towels became a thing :j and RT, thanks for that insight!

Towels were in use again the same evening - thanks to Grey Queen's advocacy on the KM thread about using to destruction. I have lots and lots of towels, and used to spread the wear equally, but I do the opposite now, I keep using the same ones, so the stores will gradually deplete. These are very good quality, its going to be a long time :rotfl:

I went to see Harry Potter and the History of Magic at the British Library yesterday :beer: £9.75 day return to London since I'm an aged pensioner :cool: we had no idea it was a pay-to-enter, so hadn't even investigated the tickets, let alone bought any :eek: but all was well, there were 15 left, gulp ...

It wasn't what we imagined - a lot of genuine manuscripts including vellum from the 10th century, and a 19th one, in Thai, from Thailand. That was pretty good. Plus drafts and original artwork from JK Rowling herself, and bits and bobs from the Witchcraft Museum in Cornwall :j With the museum shop and the shop at Kings Cross 9 3/4, a good day was had :D

Today, back to work, I feel like I'm catching up with things. Inputting the figures I got on Wednesday, work in the garden, the phone calls I didn't do on Weds, that sort of thing. I'm up horrendously early, but because I have a "home admin" type day I'm not constrained to do anything at any particular time, I'll just kip if I need to.

Bit of catching up on diaries first though :)
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • misscousinittmisscousinitt Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good day KC.

Hope you are nice and productive today - but kipping when you need to of course.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)