Research suggesting WCA linked to increased suicide risk

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
16 replies 3.9K views
Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Forumite
4.3K Posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/disability-benefit-claimants-attempted-suicides-fit-to-work-assessment-i-daniel-blake-job-centre-dwp-a8119286.html

"Attempted suicides by disability benefit claimants more than double after introduction of fit-to-work assessment"

What are you thoughts?
Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.

Replies

• ceegeeceegee Forumite
    856 Posts
    I'm not surprised at this. I went for a WCA today. I have been dreading it. I arrived in good time only to be told that they were running late. My appointment was for 3.30pm but I was advised they were running about an hour behind schedule and that I could either wait or make another appointment. I said I would wait (outside in the corridor as the waiting room was full and some people were being loud and swearing, which I find scary) as I have been psyching myself up for this for weeks. An hour later, I was told that they were unable to see me at all today as they didn't have enough time to see everybody. So they cancelled my 3.30 appointment at 4.30.

I had made a 10 mile journey to get there and made sure that I was in good time and yet they can just turn around and say that they haven't got the time to see you. Apparently they will write to me with another appointment, so now I have to go through another distressing wait, through no fault of my own.

It really is unacceptable to cause so much distress to people.
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
  • CyclamenCyclamen Forumite
    558 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I can understand this..
    poor physical health can lead to poor mental health.
    Financial worries can feed mental health.
    stressful situations can feed mental health.
    medical situations can be a trigger to mental health.
    All of which come with an ESA/PIP assesment

I find the whole thing very very hard to manage and know my mental health suffers hugely. Not knowing when the envelopes will come, I have home visits and there is a window of time for them to arrive which increases anxiety.

Like many poorly folk I have friends who share the condition and I see how much it effects them too.

I don't know what the answer is as clearly we need to be assessed but the current system is terrifying and always causes me distress.
  • Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ceegee wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at this. I went for a WCA today. I have been dreading it. I arrived in good time only to be told that they were running late. My appointment was for 3.30pm but I was advised they were running about an hour behind schedule and that I could either wait or make another appointment. I said I would wait (outside in the corridor as the waiting room was full and some people were being loud and swearing, which I find scary) as I have been psyching myself up for this for weeks. An hour later, I was told that they were unable to see me at all today as they didn't have enough time to see everybody. So they cancelled my 3.30 appointment at 4.30.

I had made a 10 mile journey to get there and made sure that I was in good time and yet they can just turn around and say that they haven't got the time to see you. Apparently they will write to me with another appointment, so now I have to go through another distressing wait, through no fault of my own.

It really is unacceptable to cause so much distress to people.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Best wishes for the WCA (when it actually happens).
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • ceegeeceegee Forumite
    856 Posts
    Thank you Alice. Having to live with an illness or a medical condition is difficult in itself, along with the financial worries that come with it and the the strain and worry that it puts on the family. But to then have the added burden of this procedure as well makes it increasingly difficult.

When I first applied for ESA I did so by phone, but the DWP had no trace of me, despite me being 61, having worked and paid taxes for 46 years, and with the taxman never having had trouble contacting me in all that time. So I had to fill out a paper application. I had to ring them with a question and they checked again..........still no trace of me anywhere. Despite possibly appearing calm in my posting, my dealings with the DWP and the WCA people are just adding to the stress of my situation.

I feel bad enough, without the DWP telling me twice that they have no record of me and then, when they do finally acknowledge my existence (thanks to my MP), the WCA people turn me away from the appointment they have made for me.

I am feeling increasingly like I don't want to be here anymore, I'm just not up to the battle that I have found myself in. But I have appreciated this opportunity to show them up for what they are, so thank you for starting this thread.
  • Not had a WCA for 4 years. Recently in last 18 months experienced a DLA to PIP change. Mentally I was stable enough to cope, never recovered but getting by day to day with support from friends and family after discharge from mental health services in 2015.

Mental health took a nosedive after my awful ATOS experience and then the fight to tribunal earlier this year I was a wreck. Years of hard work in therapy almost wiped out. I started to struggle to cope with noise from neighbours and anxiety going out forced me tears. I physically broke down in my tribunal in Spring.

I had no mental health support in place. Tried to re-refer to services when I became suicidal but the referral got lost. Eventually my low mood took me to a low point and I made plans to end my life. I asked for help again but they didn't deem me a risk.

Hours later I overdosed on a combination of medication including insulin. Woke up three days later in A&E very angry I was still alive.

That was 15 weeks ago, PIP MR been refused again today. Don't have the fight in me to face tribunal again, already beginning to dread and wonder what 2018 will bring. I've had very little support from mental health services...

I've never felt more alone in the last year.
  • ceegeeceegee Forumite
    856 Posts
    WestQueen wrote: »

I've never felt more alone in the last year.

You are not alone. There are many of us. Try to stay strong.
  • CyclamenCyclamen Forumite
    558 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    West Queen...
    I am sorry you have been treated so badly.. your post makes me want to pop round to your home and sit on the end of your sofa with a mug of tea.
    Loneliness seems to come with poor health and its devastating but there are ways to help.
    Does your 'diagnosis' have an online support forum? I use one for my 'label' and have made excellent friends there although I may never meet them.

I hope 2018 is kind to you.. please reach out however you can
  • Mr_CostcutterMr_Costcutter Forumite
    391 Posts
    ✭✭
    Such enormous pressure is placed upon claiments and additionally many carers too. My thoughts are with 'everyone' involved with a process which belongs to another century. The sick and the vulnerable should be treated with respect and should not be robbed of their dignity.
  • Cyclamen wrote: »
    West Queen...
    I am sorry you have been treated so badly.. your post makes me want to pop round to your home and sit on the end of your sofa with a mug of tea.
    Loneliness seems to come with poor health and its devastating but there are ways to help.
    Does your 'diagnosis' have an online support forum? I use one for my 'label' and have made excellent friends there although I may never meet them.

I hope 2018 is kind to you.. please reach out however you can

Its something I have never really thought of, but I'll have a look.
  • Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Such enormous pressure is placed upon claimants and additionally many carers too. My thoughts are with 'everyone' involved with a process which belongs to another century. The sick and the vulnerable should be treated with respect and should not be robbed of their dignity.

I would agree with you.
    The current assessment system for disability benefits can too often place increased stress on claimants, carers, their family, the NHS, the Tribunal Service, etc.
    IMO not only does it worsen the mental health of claimants, it also considerable reduces the chance of those individuals contributing to their community, and society.
    The benefit system should not only offer a safety net, it should actively help people usefully engage with others to the good of society (rather than differentiate, isolate and stigmatise them).
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides