PCN with wrong number plate

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
6 replies 798 views
picardygirlpicardygirl Forumite
558 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
My son got a PCN in the City of London so all above board parking ticket (silly boy).

He attempted to pay within the 14 days for the reduced fee and said wasnt recognised on the web site, so rang up and queried it to be told in person that the web site crashes occasionally and he put us through to the automated payment line.

Input PCN number and they quoted the number plate with another digit ...... so he didnt pay it.

Silly question, but they will have photographic evidence wont they and track him down with pictures once he doesnt pay it - just need another opinion really, he is thinking he can get away with it - just dont want it biting him at a later date.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone experienced similar?

Replies

• UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    33.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Private parking operator or council generated ticket?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • TiltTilt Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Assuming that the PCN was issued by the City of London Corporation, having the incorrect VRM/Number plate details on the PCN will invalidate it. AFAIK they cannot 're-issue' a PCN under such circumstances. My advice would be to do nothing until you receive the NTO which, if the VRM is incorrect, probably will never arrive.

You should keep the PCN though just in case so that you can prove it was issued incorrectly.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • picardygirlpicardygirl Forumite
    558 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies - yes it was issued through City of London Corporation, so a proper PCN as i want to call it - on the handwritten one the correct VCN is written, but when trying to input the correct number plate and PCN number online payment it wont accept it, so going through to automated line put in PCN number and it reads out wrong number plate, its a private plate with an extra digit!

The 14 days are up tomorrow, to pay the reduced fee!
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    33.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As we tend to major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • TiltTilt Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Thanks for your replies - yes it was issued through City of London Corporation, so a proper PCN as i want to call it - on the handwritten one the correct VCN is written, but when trying to input the correct number plate and PCN number online payment it wont accept it, so going through to automated line put in PCN number and it reads out wrong number plate, its a private plate with an extra digit!

The 14 days are up tomorrow, to pay the reduced fee!

Ah, I misunderstood... I read your post as being the PCN having the incorrect number plate details.

Well you have one of two options; you can appeal the ticket (which if rejected will still maintain your discounted period). Can't really advise you more on that unless we know why the ticket was issued and what the contravention code is. Or you can pay it using another method (i.e. over the phone).
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • picardygirlpicardygirl Forumite
    558 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your comments - he decided to not risk it and pay the reduced fee and be done with it!

He parks in London loads, first parking ticket he's got, parked there dark early morning not realising it was a suspended bay, lesson learnt!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides