Missed out on claiming - too late now?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
2 replies 539 views
HurdyGurdyHurdyGurdy Forumite
980 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
This is quite hazy as it was so long ago, but I think I remember the jist of it.

Many years ago, we had an endowment mortgage, with the insurance part being provided by Sun Life of Canada. We started the process off requesting information about PPI. From what I remember, they agreed that we were eligible to claim. We started the process, but for some reason which escapes me now, didn't complete the claim. I think we didn't return paperwork in time or something like that. (I can't find any of the paperwork now unfortunately.)

A few years later, my husband contacted one of those firms who offer to get your money for you, and they attempted to obtain the money. Sun Life told them that basically we'd blown it by not completing the claim at the time.

Is this right? Is there any way we are able to get our money back now, or is it too late?

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds as if you are now time barred. It doesn't sound as if your complaint was actually upheld - but that you may have had PPI.

If the claims company now know you previously complained, they may ask for you to pay them a fee.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We started the process off requesting information about PPI.

An endowment is not PPI and the Sun Life of Canada didnt issue PPI.
    Sun Life told them that basically we'd blown it by not completing the claim at the time.

Correct. Although as they didnt issue PPI, nothing was lost.
    Is there any way we are able to get our money back now

You dont get refunded something you didn't pay.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals