Is this legal? Unathorised Transactions from CommuterClub

Hi all,

First post, so I apologise if this is in the wrong place!

Last year, I attempted to sign up to a service called CoommuterClub, which allows you to split the cost of an annual train season ticket by paying monthly amounts to them in return for them sending you the ticket up front

Seeing as it's basically a loan, you need to pass credit check to be approved. I didn't pass credit check (Boo!) so I forgot about the whole affair.

Fast forward to yesterday; I had a charge of £250 taken from my bank account by CommuterClub. It seems as though they 'accidentally' charged loads of former customers/applicants between £80 and £350.

Here's what happened in their own words;

Unfortunately, due to an unexpected technical error, you were charged a first payment last night. This relates to an application made in the past but not currently active.

We know this is unacceptable and would like to apologise for the situation. We are doing everything in our power to redress the situation as soon as possible. Upon becoming aware of the situation earlier this morning, we have taken the following remedial actions:
We have refunded your payment directly to your card
We asked our payment processer to expedite the payment refund
We are removing your card details from our system
While we have already submitted the refund request to your bank today, please be aware that it may take up to 5-10 business days for the refund to show on your bank statement. This is unfortunately driven by the banking infrastructure and each bank's processes, and is regrettably outside of our control.

We recognise this may be very inconvenient for you, and should you incur any financial loss due to this error, please let us know immediately, sharing the details of the bank fine or charge (timestamp and amount) and we will escalate your case to see what compensation we can provide based on your circumstances.

Please accept our apologies for this unfortunate situation. We value our customers above all and this is not the service level we work hard to deliver. Please rest assured that we have taken all remedial measures to address the situation and the root cause to prevent any further occurrence.

I'm getting my money back, and will be getting them to remove my data from their system - so all is well on that front. I just can't get over the fact that something like this was allowed (or able) to happen. I'm not even a customer :/

Interested to hear if you good folks think CC have acted within the law. It's just a tad scary IMO.

Vivek

Replies

• Nobbie1967Nobbie1967 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'd contact the Information Commisioner's Office to make a complaint as it seems they have retained your personal information without reason resulting in this error.
  • KeithPKeithP Forumite
    27.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VKR92, did they notify you about this error or did you have to ask them why they had taken the money?

If the latter, I imagine there might be many people who wouldn't spot it. Nice little earner eh?
  • CommuterClubCommuterClub Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1 Post
    Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, due to an unexpected technical error, you were charged a first payment last night. This relates to an application made in the past but not currently active.

We know this is unacceptable and would like to apologise for the situation. We are doing everything in our power to redress the situation as soon as possible. Upon becoming aware of the situation earlier this morning, we have taken the following remedial actions:

We have refunded your payment directly to your card

We asked our payment processer to expedite the payment refund

We are removing your card details from our system

While we have already submitted the refund request to your bank today, please be aware that it may take up to 5-10 business days for the refund to show on your bank statement. This is unfortunately driven by the banking infrastructure and each bank's processes, and is regrettably outside of our control.

We recognise this may be very inconvenient for you, and should you incur any financial loss due to this error, please let us know immediately, sharing the details of the bank fine or charge (timestamp and amount) and we will escalate your case to see what compensation we can provide based on your circumstances.

Please accept our apologies for this unfortunate situation. We value our customers above all and this is not the service level we work hard to deliver. Please rest assured that we have taken all remedial measures to address the situation and the root cause to prevent any further occurrence.

Please do not hesitate to give us a call on 0203 476 5002 or email [email protected] if you require immediate assistance.

Best,
    The CommuterClub Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of CommuterClub. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its pretty telling that Commuter Club chose to post with total contempt for the clearly agreed T&Cs - This is not the action of a responsible/professional operation.

Maybe anyone stumbling across this thread in future should bear that in mind in any dealings they have with them?
  • VKR92VKR92 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Just want to follow up for anyone who is wondering how this played out;

CommuterClub were very helpful in getting my details removed from their system and customer service were quick and responsive to my many questions.

They've also assured me that they're reviewing their data storage policy. Actually, it's been refreshing how up front they've been about the mistake...

Thank you all for your helpful responses - my situation has been resolved so I'm happy for the thread to be closed. Anyone in a similar boat to me, just tweet them
  • Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    pogofish wrote: »
    Its pretty telling that Commuter Club chose to post with total contempt for the clearly agreed T&Cs - This is not the action of a responsible/professional operation.

Maybe anyone stumbling across this thread in future should bear that in mind in any dealings they have with them?

Thanks pogofish

While CommuterClub should have requested verification first, we've verified it as we'd like its customers' questions to be answered if possible.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News