edited 29 October 2016 at 8:24AM in Debt Free Diaries
3.5K replies 351.9K views

Replies

• Greying_PilgrimGreying_Pilgrim Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Afternoon,

Hope it's not raining with you - regrettably it is with us :( We have already got soaked :(

However, we have also had a spiffy lunch :D We pushed the boat out a little, for a low-key celebration (no, I'm not...;)), and bought lunch at a new take-away place in Greying Town. All I can say is, I'm glad they are only open for 'lunch'. It'd be too tempting otherwise :D Enough food for the 3 of us for less than £12. That's pretty good going, especially since I was telling DH that coffee and cake for me and a chum - my treat - at a 'hip' place several months ago had set me back over £12.......... :eek: The food was the type of stuff I like to eat, and I could have made it myself, but sometimes we all need a 'day off', and I enjoyed the treat (DH paid), and it was nice to get 'good' veggie food for once.

Tea tonight is going to be cardboard box fish and oven chips with mushy peas, as now I'm in the CBA'd frame of mind, I'm taking full advantage...... :rotfl::rotfl: No complaints from DH as there will be less washing up overall.

We were going to go out today, adventurising. But the blessed weather put paid to that :(

I need to tot-up my accounts. I think I'm pretty much out of budget - maybe slightly over for September, although there are some 'bulk purchases' to take into consideration - I got toothpaste from W1lks today - I usually don't bother, because they've gone expensive, but I noticed that they were having a clear out of various types of toothpaste. For between 18p and 22p a tube, so I got 5 in total. The other thing to take into consideration with the food budget is my (tiny) £2 contribution of food to the foodbank. I'm hopeful that I can make a small weekly donation, rather than try to do something bigger at the end of each month. We'll have to see how that works out. We currently have lots of food in, and have been given a shed-load of fresh produce. I was in the right place at the right time the other day to get harvest festival display 'rejects'. It's interesting how folk aren't bothered about using fresh produce..... I felt greedy accepting what I did - but the alternative was the bin, or at best the compost heap :( And of course, the FB can't take this kind of thing :(

The heating is on :( It's slightly too damp without it :( And now we've clothes/coats to dry out :(

Today I am already grateful for these 3 things;

being treated to lunch - even if we did eat it at home :D

bumping into friends old and new
    - a kind word always gives a lift :D

DH working so hard for us, and wanting us to enjoy family time together
    :D

Ta for popping in and reading. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
  • HiddenidenityHiddenidenity Forumite
    5.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have the wet weather too :(

Nothing worse than wet! Cold we can wrap up, even snow is better than rain! :rotfl:

Sound's like a lovely day all round x
    4.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Hiddenidentity - I'm really pleased that I can find pleasure in the 'simple' things. OK, so £12 is alot of money, but you can pay that and still be hungry, or the food be inedible, so.....

What I came back to say was that I forgot that, whilst in mrT t'other day, I spotted that they had magg1 brand 'powdered coconut', on special offer for £2.79 - a reduction of a £1. The offer is on until the end of October. It was in our 'world foods' section of the shop. Our mrT is a big 'un. I don't know if all branches stock it. But I do recall that several of you use it - I know Pippi has it in her storecupboard. I haven't had it since AF were all but 'giving' it away a few years ago. Them were the days :D Anyhoo, hope that helps someone :D

Greying X
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sat reading your diary eating cardboard fish, chips and mushy peas! I have been batch cooking so couldn't be bothered either !
    4.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sat reading your diary eating cardboard fish, chips and mushy peas! I have been batch cooking so couldn't be bothered either !

Ha ha, must be the weather for it, or summat ;) Listening to R2, with LizaT, and thankfully, no-one seems to be conjuring up a tibetan-style, 15-course feast - in their campervan - this evening, so not even being made to feel guilty :p:rotfl:

Greying X

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    :D you lot :D Sorry you didn't get your planned day out Greying, but I am pleased you had a tasty lunch :j Wr ended up at the seaside of all things (we are about as far from the sea as it is possible to get in England I think, which isn't really *that* far in the grand scheme of things I suppose :rotfl: )

Anyway I made some spring rolls to take for a picnic :D so we only had a cup of tea each, shared a biscuit, and bought some sweets for the way home :money:

I popped in to tell you I found a new product which has just allowed me to create (near enough) our favourite takeaway dish at home, in less time than it takes for delivery (and given the delivery record is nine minutes from ordering, that's pretty quick!)

Sorry, waffling :o Deep fried tofu :D never seen it before, found it in new international supermarket for £1.45 for 150g (half of which just made enough for both of us). It doesn't look like tofu, more like bits of sponge :eek: :rotfl: but it's got that lovely chewy texture the takeaway stuff has that you never normally get with tofu. I just fried up onions and peppers, and then threw this in and heated it with a sachet of black bean sauce (don't normally do cook i sauces but this was replacing a takeaway after all...).

Excellent substitute, and in total I'd say less than £2.50 for the pair of us (compared to £12 for a takeaway) :D
    4.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Morning :hello:

OK, Cheery, deep-fried tofu - this is something I know nothing of. What cuisine is it from, Chinese? I'm assuming that the international supermarket is in Cheery city - rather than where you went for your day trip? You seem to have a much better range of shops than I have access to :( But I applaud the saving :T absolutely spiffing :T

We're having a slow start at the towers for once :j We've had a cooked brekkie - only scrambled eggs on toast with beans. I should have been more adventurous, but only knew we were going to have a lie-in by late last night. Blessed weather spoiling things :(

A load of washing is on the go. More damp to hang around the house :(

I still haven't got around to totalling up the last of the September receipts into my spending book. Must do that, as it has paid dividends in helping me to see where the money goes.

I need to shuffle stuff around in the freezer and see how much room I have, and contemplate a bit of batch cooking. It's a hectic patch for the next few weeks, and I think I'll do myself a favour if I have some 'grab' meals available. Either that, or I need to get a bus pass to Cheery city and impinge on Cheery's hospitalityto get made delicious teas with interesting ingredients :D

Right, best get to it and do constructive things with the day. It's miserable currently, but I'm not sure how it's set to go as the day progresses. Definitely will try to get out for a breath of fresh air if we can - and if we can find a dry coat to wear :(

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

• SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Raining here Greying as well. Off to collect DGS so hope for a dry spot for him to use up all the energy he has.
    Deep fried tofu never seen it in Cumbria land .

More batch cooking today as defrosted freezer yesterday so have lots of room . Vegetable gluten free lasagne me thinks for today's evening meal.
    Keep posting your recipes , veggie friend coming for dinner next week .
    4.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to Clare Balding on R2, it is 'Grandparent's Day' today. So Happy Grandparent Day Cumbria Lass. I hope you both have fun together :D

Greying X

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning :hello:

You're right, the supermarket is (fortunately for us) in Cheery City rather than the small seaside town we went to for our day trip :D

This is the stuff:

https://omnivorescookbook.com/pantry/deep-fried-tofu

The Chinese version I think - tastes just like what we get from the Chinese takeaway. I like the idea of it being called 'tofu bubbles' :D It's pretty cheap and extremely light so if you ever did feel comfortable giving away your address to a weirdo off the internet, I'd be quite happy to send you some to experiment with :)

(and you'd be more than welcome to visit but I couldn't promise interesting teas - mostly I just eat toast and branflakes :rotfl: ) :D