Extending Motability Lease

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
3 replies 1.9K views
scarletspyscarletspy Forumite
16 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
My grandmother currently has a motability car (I'm her driver). He lease runs out at the beginning of January 2018. We went to the One Big Event today to look at our options for a new car, etc. My nana's mobility has declined quite a lot so I'm looking at getting her a scooter and getting a hoist installed in the new car. The adaption company I spoke to at the event said I'd have to have the scooter first so they could let me know which hoist I need. He said if I don't decide and get it in the next few weeks - at which point she should be applying fora new car - she could call motability and get a short extension on her current lease until she figures out what car/adaptions she wants.

I've had a look on the motability website and she would qualify as she's well under 15000 miles but the site says it would be a year or 2 year extension. We have a rough idea of what car and scooter to get but I hadn't planned for the advanced payment for I might need a couple of months to save up for it. Is it possible to extend the lease for only a couple of months or do you have to take at least another year?

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarletspy wrote: »
    My grandmother currently has a motability car (I'm her driver). He lease runs out at the beginning of January 2018. We went to the One Big Event today to look at our options for a new car, etc. My nana's mobility has declined quite a lot so I'm looking at getting her a scooter and getting a hoist installed in the new car. The adaption company I spoke to at the event said I'd have to have the scooter first so they could let me know which hoist I need. He said if I don't decide and get it in the next few weeks - at which point she should be applying fora new car - she could call motability and get a short extension on her current lease until she figures out what car/adaptions she wants.

I've had a look on the motability website and she would qualify as she's well under 15000 miles but the site says it would be a year or 2 year extension. We have a rough idea of what car and scooter to get but I hadn't planned for the advanced payment for I might need a couple of months to save up for it. Is it possible to extend the lease for only a couple of months or do you have to take at least another year?
    I think the best and quickest way to find your answer would be to ring motability. Like you said it does say 1 or 2 years on their website.
  • tomtom256tomtom256 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I think they can extend for a few months if you need to wait to get a new car with adaptions as they will not leave the disabled person without a vehicle.
  • w06w06 Forumite
    917 Posts
    Discuss directly with Motability but they are generally helpful about that type of thing. If the new car is delayed for eg. manufacturing reasons they would then extend the lease by short periods.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides