When should i claim esa

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
3 replies 1K views
winnac01winnac01 Forumite
27 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
HI Folks

I am currently getting SSP from my employer this will run out in just over a month my current condition means i cannot return to work for a while yet, should i be making a claim for ESA now or do i have to wait until my 28 weeks are up i im just trying to avoid a crossover period and a drop in money.

I am not sure what category of ESA i will fall into i have just been awarded PIP at the enhanced rate for both mobility and daily living. and i have fully paid up NI contributions.

Any advice will as always be fully appreciated.

Kind Regards Chris

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    winnac01 wrote: »
    HI Folks

I am currently getting SSP from my employer this will run out in just over a month my current condition means i cannot return to work for a while yet, should i be making a claim for ESA now or do i have to wait until my 28 weeks are up i im just trying to avoid a crossover period and a drop in money.

I am not sure what category of ESA i will fall into i have just been awarded PIP at the enhanced rate for both mobility and daily living. and i have fully paid up NI contributions.

Any advice will as always be fully appreciated.

Kind Regards Chris
    You can put a claim in for ESA now but you'll need to SSP1form for from your employer. The ESA claim will be Contribution based, limited to 365 days unless you're placed in the Support Group. You'll also need fit/sick notes for the ESA claim whilst in the assessment phase. They won't start paying you ESA until your SSP runs out. Do you live alone?
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having just read your other posts, i see you do not live alone so therefore wouldn't qualify for the premiums that are paid with ESA.
  • Thank you i will call my employer today and get them to send me the SSP1 form one again poppy thanks for your advice.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides