Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

edited 14 June 2010 at 3:32PM in Phones & TV
1.1K replies 372.6K views

Replies

• RaywillRaywill Forumite
    21 Posts
    BTW, if you do buy shares (even in an ISA or nominee account) you can attend their AGM which is normally on the last Wednesday morning in September (check nearer the time) in Tunbridge Wells, and chat with all the Directors. Now you may not be able to do that so easily with BT!
    They also have a car park!
  • edited 24 June 2017 at 8:58PM
    RaywillRaywill Forumite
    21 Posts
    edited 24 June 2017 at 8:58PM
    Because I get free line rental (see above), I use Mobile broadband via a dongle. I recommend a 4G dongle (it will cost you a bit more than a 3G one). EE seem to offer very good deals.
    Avoid third-party suppliers you can find on Ebay. Some scammers take your money and don`t pass it on to the actual provider. They scam both you and the provider!
    You do need good signal strength. To get this I use a 1 metre USB extension and prop up the dongle in a window facing towards the mobile mast, and it makes a big difference!
  • money4nothingmoney4nothing Forumite
    17 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi -

I am a current Fuel Broadband (FBB) customer for home phone only paying £11.82 pcm (ex VAT). As you probably all know, FBB is leaving the phone market and business is moving to the Post Office. My offer from the PO? £17.50 pcm - when I spoke to them, they said that this is the "best" offer that they have for me.

I have a second line into my home which is BT-run. They have no appetite to discount the second line.

Time to ditch the phone-only line methinks!

Annual saving? North of £300 - thank you for the prompt to take action FBB/PO!
  • jstallanjstallan Forumite
    324 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I'd been with Primus for years on a line rental deal and now received my first Post Office bill. Called them to discuss the matter and nearly lost the will to live waiting in the queue. When I did get to speak to them I found them rude and there was far to much background noise (their end) to have a decent conversation. They confirmed I could leave anytime as I wasn't under contract - So I am!

Called my broadband provider (PlusNet) and as an existing customer (since 2002) got a cracking deal on line rental.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Raywill wrote: »
    If you buy 250 shares in Telecoms company Adept Telecom they will give you free residential line rental plus free evening and weekend calls. The only other cost is £9 for BT to switch you over at the exchange. Does 18185 work? Yes! But call charges are at wholesale rates, too.
    They also pay a very nice yearly dividend (tax free for most of you).
    MSE declined to list it because they assume it is business only. No, it is not. This deal is for residential lines only.
    Unfortunately the shares will cost you more that they cost me two years ago because the company is very successful and shares have more than doubled in that time. A healthy profit! Click Investors on their website.
    Don`t forget, shares can go down as well as up!
    Adept's residential tariff table is the first I've seen that charges 3p/min for inbound calls.

Also of interest is that 3 Adept directors sold approx £3m worth of shares on Aug 2nd.
  • Ian011Ian011 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    The Adept Telecom residential deal appears to be CPS (carrier pre-select) and so you still pay BT for line rental.

The premium rate 0844 number for customer services breaches Regulation 41 of the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Forumite
    "All qualifying shareholders will receive FREE line rental"
    Still, £800 initial investment to get it doesn't really make sense. Who even wants a landline for voice calls nowadays?
    The real deal would be broadband and here Adept isn't offering anything for the residential market.
  • anselldanselld Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Forumite
    jstallan wrote: »
    I'd been with Primus for years on a line rental deal and now received my first Post Office bill. Called them to discuss the matter and nearly lost the will to live waiting in the queue. When I did get to speak to them I found them rude and there was far to much background noise (their end) to have a decent conversation. They confirmed I could leave anytime as I wasn't under contract - So I am!

Called my broadband provider (PlusNet) and as an existing customer (since 2002) got a cracking deal on line rental.

Same here.
    First bill from pobroadband over £28 after normal £14.20 from Primus/NewCall/Fuel/ETC

Useless and rude call centre operator tried to explain it was a "long month". Well it felt like a long month on the phone!

Switch back to Plusnet initiated now.
  • 3p/min for inbound calls? First I have heard of it! I will ask them.
    Directors are perfectly entitled to sell shares. It happens all the time in most quoted companies, sometimes to raise money to convert options.
    On an earlier occasion shares were sold because fund managers complained that there were not enough available for them to buy. Perhaps this has happened again.
    I wonder which company this chap works for?
  • Hi, BugLawton is definitely wrong here. Yes, broadband is available for the home market.
    It does cost a bit more than others because it is higher grade: lower contention ratio. I.e. fewer users per line.