Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
12.3K replies 1.2M views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You'd miss us if you went! besides you'd have to hold your mug with your little pinkie finger stuck out at a correct angle AND use a saucer and they wouldn't let you dunk the gingernuts I'll bet! Stick with thy roots kiddo, at least you KNOW how we function even if we are just a tiny bit alternative ! xxx.
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mar is too busy with plumbers, the heffalump, recalcitrant haggi and jelly babies to let a bit of KALE upset her :D:D
  • pollyanna_26pollyanna_26 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be careful Floss ! You don't want to mess with Mar .

Lyn You know I loves you but asked that no one mention Frogs and today we're the Froggies!!! Miranda would say RUDE to that one :D

For the newbies .
    The elephant was originally summoned from Discworld to transport us from across the various parts of the world up to Mar in Scotland in a crisis situation . The reason for the rescue is lost now in my memory . It may have been a shortage of sweeties or she could have been trapped under the Sky ariel so beloved by the RV ( Ratty Virgo ) her husband after she tried to sabotage it and it fell on her .
    It was then we realised we had members on the IOW and even Australia so we drew up plans for building a rescue boat as Mar had failed to knit the promised ark .
    An inflatable Elephant was obtained to fill the gap until all rescue means were in place .
    Meanwhile as I informed everyone last year Sir Terry noticed his Elephants were minus a member and Discworld was on a slant , the remaining three elephants were covered in pain relieving gel to try to ease their pain and Sir Terry magicked his fourth elephant back home .
    I don't know if someone popped the inflatable elephant or if it still survives and I haven't the faintest idea what Mar and the RV ate from the freezer .
    If you have been blessed with much more than the average life span the whole saga can be followed on the last Fence thread and the SHTF thread which preceded the new Preppers thread as many of us posted on both .
    There were many laugh out loud moments and lots of damp keyboards at it's height .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.
  • ivyleafivyleaf Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of you may remember me being upset recently because I'd had an appointment letter for the eye clinic about hopefully getting rid of my cataracts, but the appointment wasn't until next March.

I've had a new letter this morning and my appointment is now next Saturday!
    When I rang to confirm the original appointment I was told the eventual date would be earlier than March, but I hadn't expected it to be as soon as this.

I don't know what happens if they think only one eye is bad enough to need an operation, (for which there will of course be another waiting list anyway) and of course they wouldn't do both eyes at the same time anyway - I suppose I'd have to have a plain lens put in that side of my glasses? Anyone know?
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simplylivingcottage You may have already tried this but I first discovered the wonders of Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray when I was in the Scottish Highlands . I've always been a magnet for midges and had some trips to A&E in former years will severe reactions .
    My eldest daughter was living there at the time and passed me the spray on our way to a forest walk .
    Totally magic . I've only tried the original version as it works fine for me . I always have a few in store although it goes a long way . I keep a bottle near the back door and use it before going in the garden .
    We have marshland very close and all the bitey things are forever on the hunt for a victim .
    polly
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Ivyleaf missed your post . Really pleased you have your appointment day fixed . As I mentioned a while ago those I know have never regretted having the cataract removed .
    Good to hear the Doublebase gel did the trick . I seem to spend a lot of time recommending it and although others may have reacted to it I personally have never encountered a problem for those I know .
    It has helped my daughter so much it's always worth a mention .
    I've been waiting for a delivery today time slot 6.30 am - 6.30 pm from one of the blink and you miss them courier firms . They have just been as I was replying to you so now I can seize the day or not as I choose .
    Did the vitamins from the doctor help at all regarding the hair ? I did try to reply to your pm and others but was having difficulty . Perhaps I should look at sorting that while I have some time .
    polly
  • @ivyleaf My mum recently got her's done and OMG! It's amazing how much they have helped, she used to have bottle neck glasses due to being so short sighted (sadly I feel I am following suit) and she doesn't need any glasses now. She see's everything now, E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G! The worst thing was she had a few months between so had to wear an eye patch to see properly through her glasses.

@pollyanna 26 Thank you, I have heard about it but I don't know anyone who does Avon over here to ask to get it!! Will have to check if they do it online, if not will see if when we pop over to Leicester when we go on our bi annual holiday to the other half's parents if his mum can order us some. We kinda fixed the midges problem by going to Wales instead, but that causes it own problems of camping in the permanent rain and if we're unlucky snow!
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pollyanna - I think the elephant was actually on loan from the flyladies...
  • FairyPrincesskFairyPrincessk Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Ivy, I'm not sure. MIL had hers done fairly recently and the gap between was several months. One eye wasn't bad enough when she had the first done, but they went ahead and put her on the waiting list I think so she didn't have to wait too long.

I've just made a batch of bilberry jam. This afternoon is for sewing and ironing (might as well while the board is out!). OH is doing some sort of bean burgers for tea and we've leftover kidney bean and chorizo stew for lunch. It isn't really raining here but the odd fat drop does seem to fall. It is also very windy so I've hung the washing out hoping it will at least get most of the way there!

Hugs to all who need them, and a spoonful of jam for anyone asking...can you put jam on rich tea or is that an abomination???

p.s. I rarely wear trousers, finding skirts easier to fit and more comfortable. I dread to think what manifestation the trouser leg signal might take in that case--performed by myself or others! I'll be modelling my nappy-pin brooch off of a frog. A mad one. Possibly fashioned out of dried elephant skin, if Mar has any to spare.
  • MMF007MMF007 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    :hello:: Ivyleaf. My friend had her first cataract done at the end of April and yes, she had one glasses lense reglazed in plain glass. She is waiting the other one, prob before end of August.
    She is amazed by the result and now goes without glasses most of the time because her 'new eye' is so good. She had some discomfort the first evening but nothing major and just put the drops is as prescribed for, I think, 4 weeks.
    I would recommend getting a gadget for the drops, you put the bottle in it and then the gadget acts as a guide to point the drops directly into your eye. The kne I bought for my friend was called Autodrop, but there are others. Alternatively, pull your eye lid down gently, not to far!, and drop into far corner. (Hope I am not teaching you to suck eggs).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin: