Help to buy Isa and cash Isa from previous tax years

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
2 replies 916 views
JamesdutJamesdut Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I opened a help to buy Isa last tax year 2016/2017. I also have a cash Isa from a previous tax year. I want to continue putting £200 a month in my help to buy Isa this tax year. Can I put additional funds in my cash Isa not exceeding the limit of course. These two Isas are with different providers and are not wrapped. Also I have not opened a new cash Isa this tax year 2017/18. Thanks


  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Help To Buy is classed as a Cash ISA so if you put £200 monthly into it you can't contribute to another Cash ISA in the same year but you can into any of the other types.

    That being said there are a few split ISA providers around that will do what you want but the rates on these tend to be lower than a straight H2B ISA.

    With regards to the previous year's cash ISA(s), you can transfer them around until the cows come home. What do you mean by "they're not wrapped"?
  • isasmurfisasmurf Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    What do you mean by "they're not wrapped"?
    I think he means they are not in what you've referred to as a split ISA (officially referred to as a Portfolio ISA).
This discussion has been closed.

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals