Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt-free Wannabe Challenges

'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread - Page 416

New Post Advanced Search

'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

edited 21 June 2016 at 3:30PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
4.2K replies 334K views

Replies

• edited 27 November 2016 at 2:50PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 27 November 2016 at 2:50PM
    Happygreen wrote: »
    You can try offering them on freecylce or freegle. Someone will have them! Or old folks home, hospital? Ours does have a shelf for fundraising with books £ 1 each.

Georgiegirl, lots of stores (not charity shops) have a charity table. My Tesco has one. People choose books and pay whatever they want into a collection box. The supply of books is always changing, people just go in and deposit their books on the table. I've taken loads there (as you say, charity shops don't always want them:eek:) and I've bought a lot there too. The proceeds are for an animal charity, they also have a pet food collection box at the side.

Our local Boots even had a shelf for 2nd hand books, although that seems to have gone now:(. The Co-op also has one.

Just keep looking when out shopping, you'll certainly find somewhere to put your books that will benefit someone or other:beer:
  • Mememe I need to read my books!
    First will be Just like Jennings by Anthony Buckeridge
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • Hello everyone!

I don't know about you all but I seem to read constantly, just never books!

I've been reading Gut by Giulia Engels and Daring Greatly by Bren!e Brown. I lost the first one (oops) and am really enjoying the second one. It's really, really good.

I'm about halfway through so I hope to end it soon.

I need to learn to put my smartphone down and pick up a novel - I'd steam through them at that rate!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Great to see someone posting on here again:T. It's been so long since anyone posted that I thought the thread had 'died':(

I've had no end of computer and internet connection issues this past few months:mad:. Instead of freeing up more time to read I found I was forever faffing about trying to get and stay online. I was in a bad mood much of the time (didn't realised how much my life depends on the internet:o) and I just couldn't get in the right frame of mind to get stuck into a book.

Seem to have got things sorted at last after switching internet service provider(keeping fingers well and truly crossed though;)) and have just started reading a biography of Dusty Springfield who I've always been a massive fan of. Early days with the book, only read 4 pages so far:rotfl:, but it seems promising.
  • blindtoastblindtoast Forumite
    447 posts
    InaPickle wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

I don't know about you all but I seem to read constantly, just never books!

I tend to find the same thing Pickle! I am already behind this years Goodreads :( target tho I am getting there with the book I'm reading - Pines by Blake Crouch. It's the book Wayward Pines the TV show was based on and although having watched the show I know the twist, the book is actually pretty different so it keeps it interesting

I've got Bridget Jones Baby lined up as my next read I think so that should be a quicker one and get me back on target! :)
    No more buying books Books in 2016 = 20.
    Target for 2018 = 7/21
    No more buying DVDs ? 2018 target 27/52

Sealed pot challenge member #1733
    447 posts
    Finished Pines this week and have started Bridget Jones Baby
    Target for 2018 = 7/21

• edited 12 April 2017 at 9:36AM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 12 April 2017 at 9:36AM
    Lovely that people post on this thread from time to time:T, I'd hate it to just die out.

I'm having a massive blitz on 'clutter' although I don't truly consider it to be 'clutter' and that's why I'm having such issues with getting rid of it:o. This includes mountains of books which I know I'll never read again and which really need to go. OH is away this week so I've taken advantage of no interruptions (or grumbles) to drag out every book I can find and try to list/sell online or box up to take to charity. Of course, me being me, I keep getting sidetracked and find myself reading the hours away:o.

One of the books I discovered this week is The Last Diary of Tsaritsa Alexandra and I am well and truly hooked. I was given this many years ago but somehow never got round to reading it:o. I've always been fascinated by the period and events covered and this book is such a personal and poignant account of the last tragic 6 months of the Tsar and his family. It's an easy read for this sort of thing, although heart-rending in places especially as we know how the story ends. It includes facsimiles of some of her actual diary entries. Fortunately, being the granddaughter of Queen Victoria, her first language was English, indeed she and the Tsar used to speak to each other in English. Lovely to see her thoughts as actually written without all the problems that translation can throw up.

Finding this book has given me an added impetus to get on with my decluttering as I'm rewarding myself with a 30 minute read for every 3 hours 'work';).
    447 posts
    Finished Bridget Jones Baby today. Not too bad. Not as good as the others I don't think and having read Mad About the Boy I already knew who the father was which took the surprise away which is a shame
    Target for 2018 = 7/21

• I am looking at ways to save money and reducing the amount of things I own so not buying books (not just fiction-recipe, craft etc books as well) would be helpful. I don't spend a massive amount on books. I have binges every so often and often they are second hand so cheap but I don't need them!

My goal is to not buy anymore books of any kind for the rest of this year. I am good at passing my fiction books on once I have read them so I'll continue to do that. If I see a book in a shop I want I have started to look up my libraries online catalogue to see if they have it, often they do so I add it to my wish list. I have definitely started using my library more.
    I am also really bad for buying recipe and craft books when I haven't made anything out of the ones I already have. I need to start using these books or get rid of them.
    NSD Dec: 0/15
    Make £1 a day in Dec: £0/£31
    Credit Card1: £0.00
    Credit Card2:
    Bank Loan: £0
  • edited 16 May 2017 at 9:04AM
    blindtoastblindtoast Forumite
    447 posts
    edited 16 May 2017 at 9:04AM
    Hi Louise, good luck with your no book buying challenge :)

I finished Walking Ollie last week. An interesting true book about a man who rescues a dog who causes havoc and about their journey together.
    Target for 2018 = 7/21