Ideas for pergola

edited 26 February 2017 at 12:59AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
3 replies 1.6K views
kah22kah22 Forumite
1.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭
edited 26 February 2017 at 12:59AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Might I ask for some ideas for a recently built patio.

What am I after? I'm after a fast growing evergreen to cover a pergola

The pergola encloses an 8x8 meter patio. There are 5 2x2 uprights about seven ft high with two cross beams running from one post to the other.

At present I have a climbing rose attached to each upright. I would not expect them to grow any more than 7 ft, the height of the upright. The roses I've planted are: CROWN PRINCESS MARGARETA, TEASING GEORGIA, THE GENEROUS GARDENER , and A SHROPSHIRE LAD

What I'm after are some fast climbing evergreens that will cover the crossbeam. As I look out onto the patio an evergreen covering is essential. The patio faces SE, on top of a hill but surrounded by a number of mature trees and hedges. A large listed building blocks the mid day sun.

As you can see it is work in progress and a lot of dirt has to disposed of

Thank you for any assistance you feel able to offer

ps I removed a Dropbox link for it seemed unsafe. I'll post good link tomorrow

Kevin

Replies

• westieawestiea Forumite
    430 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I am presuming they will go into the ground and not pots.
    Without seeing the pic, and knowing your general geographic area have a look at
    -Clematis armandii - white scented flowers spring.
    -Trachelosperum jasminoides - white scented flowers summer.(can be a little tender)

- any of the Lonicera varieties (honeysuckle), I tend to recommend ' Halliana' as it is highly scented and a good 'doer' under most conditions, cream/ white flowers over a long period (spring to summer)
    Also worth thinking about is if this area is exposed to wind(being on a hill?) you may need to tie these in frequently as once they get they're legs down they will romp and can easily blown off the structure and break.
    Greyer by the minute - Older by the hour - Wiser by the day
  • kah22kah22 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    As promised here are two images of my patio. Remember it is work in progress and my apologies for such large images, I couldn't figure out how to make hem smaller - took me all day figuring out how to put them up. 🤓😡

[IMG][/img]File%2026-02-2017%2000%2026%2051_zps0kypkhh3.jpeg

File%2026-02-2017%2000%2026%2026_zpslygno0t8.jpeg
  • andrewf75andrewf75 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    passion flower?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides