Forum Home» Savings & Investments

Anyone heard of Century21?

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Anyone heard of Century21?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
27 replies 7.1K views
don9999don9999 Forumite
580 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
I have been cold called by this company, asking if I would be interested in investing in the 'Tyram Lakes Mini-Bond'.

Now, don't worry, I have NO intention of investing anything, and would never do so with a 'company' that has cold called me.

However, I'm just interested to hear what their angle might be.

Their web site: http://www.century21ih.co.uk/index.html

A very quick look online shows that the Tyram Lakes Hotel development appears to be genuine, but I don't have the time or inclination to investigate how Century21 may or may not be connected with it.

Has anyone heard of them or had any experience of them?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!

Replies

• AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only ever seen their for sale boards on houses in the USA.
    I presume they are a chain or franchise over there, you see them all over.
    "For every problem,  there is a solution that is clear, simple and wrong"  HL Mencken. 
  • atushatush Forumite
    18.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Century 21 are real estate agents in the usa.

They dont cold call looking for investors.

So not the same company (but scammers usually try to sound legit)
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    atush wrote: »
    Century 21 are real estate agents in the usa.

They dont cold call looking for investors.

So not the same company (but scammers usually try to sound legit)
    They are also real estate agents in the UK
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • ReaperReaper Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's unsecured, unregulated and you can't sell before the end of the term. Only invest if you are VERY confident in the company.
  • MalthusianMalthusian Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Century21ih.co.uk is registered to a Graham Read who appears to be the owner of "Century 21 GRI", who appear on Century 21's main UK website (century21uk.com). In other words, as far as I can tell it all checks out as part of the main Century 21 group.

It is still an investment which contains a material risk of 100% capital loss. And the standard warning about cold-calling still applies.

Their angle? Well, they get investor's money to build "eco-lodges" outside S!!!!horpe, if it's a success it will almost certainly deliver returns well in excess of the 8% they'll be paying to investors, if it fails, they've lost nothing and no doubt it will have kept the directors gainfully employed for a while.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Zola.Zola. Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the ads on tv about 20 years ago, can still remember their little jingle

cennnnturrrryyyy twennnnnty-oneeeeee

The borrower is slave to the lender. 
    Money is not to buy stuff. Money is to buy freedom.

• just outside doncaster with a prison for its next door neighbour doesnt fill me with confidence, the project is currently being serviced by a loan on a popular P2P site, with that loan individuals are getting 12% return and if it fails then the investors have first charge over the land.
  • don9999don9999 Forumite
    580 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    FYI....a follow up.....

The investment 'looks' legit.
    As with all property investments of this sort, there is going to be fair amount of risk.

I liked Malthusian's comment:
    "Their angle? Well, they get investor's money to build "eco-lodges" outside S!!!!horpe, if it's a success it will almost certainly deliver returns well in excess of the 8% they'll be paying to investors, if it fails, they've lost nothing and no doubt it will have kept the directors gainfully employed for a while."

However, I just received a call from them (after their initial contact last week) and they apply high-pressure sales techniques to get you to 'register' !
    RED FLAG WARNINGS straightaway.

Within the first 2 or 3 minutes I adised that "I had decided not to proceed as I didn't have the time to investigate the opportunity fully".
    He went on for a further 20 minutes trying to persuade me 'just to register'.
    Despite me repeating that I did NOT have the time to investigate the opportunity sufficiently to enable me to invest.
    He persevered.....

"Doesn't cost anything to register"
    "We can send you lots of information"
    "We have experts here that can answer all your questions"
    "The first investors have just received their first payments"
    "We are involved with lots of high-profile companies - Wyndhams, Hoseasons...."
    "You said last time that you were prepared to register"
    etc...etc....

He was sending out all the wrong signals.
    It may indeed be a valid/legal investment opportunity, but their contact is EXACTLY what it is like with a traditional boiler room scam (have been contacted by them in the past so know what it's like with them too)

He ended the call by swearing at me and hanging up!

Has anyone else been contacted by them......?
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • coyrlscoyrls Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    don9999 wrote: »
    FYI....a follow up.....

It may indeed be a valid/legal investment opportunity,

After your experience, how can you possibly think that?
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The investment 'looks' legit.

RED FLAG WARNINGS straightaway.

"Doesn't cost anything to register"
    "We can send you lots of information"
    "We have experts here that can answer all your questions"
    "The first investors have just received their first payments"
    "We are involved with lots of high-profile companies - Wyndhams, Hoseasons...."
    "You said last time that you were prepared to register"
    etc...etc....

He was sending out all the wrong signals.

He ended the call by swearing at me and hanging up!

It may indeed be a valid/legal investment opportunity
    I really can't reconcile that statement with the ones in your quote above. How is it anything other than a scam from your experience?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.