MSE News: 'I was charged £11,000 for data on my dongle'

edited 16 February 2017 at 12:42PM in Broadband & Internet Access
30 replies 5.9K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I find it difficult to believe that someone who needs the access for his job would agree to a 2GB cap when he already knows he's exceeded that limit previously and knows how much it's cost him.
  • gavrcgavrc Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I might be crazy but who puts a green warning light on anything?!

Aside from that, I know loads of people who wouldn't know what a gigabyte was if you beat them around the head with it. It has to be recognised that no-one will read a T&C that full of techno talk and scrabble winning words. If I were to buy a 2GB contract, I expect to be allowed 2GB and no more. Allowing an 'overdraft' like this is deliberately in place to make money off less savvy customers.

gav
  • gavrc wrote: »

It not a warning light, its a SMS message indicator, the dongle does not read the messages and decide light up red or green.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    gavrc wrote: »

Aside from that, I know loads of people who wouldn't know what a gigabyte was if you beat them around the head with it. It has to be recognised that no-one will read a T&C that full of techno talk and scrabble winning words. If I were to buy a 2GB contract, I expect to be allowed 2GB and no more. Allowing an 'overdraft' like this is deliberately in place to make money off less savvy customers.

gav
    He'd already had to pay more when going over his original 1GB and then doubled it to 2GB and still ended up paying for going over that. It's not like he was unaware it cost more when exceeding his limit, admittedly £11,000 may have come as a bit of a shock (to put it mildly) but I'd love to know why he let his mate have it with no idea (presumably) of what he'd be using it for.
  • superbigal36superbigal36 Forumite
    734 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Next people will want Gas and electricity capped.
    No more hot water when you go over your Direct debit payment i say
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    gavrc wrote: »

gav

He had the alowance increased from 1GB to 2GB. Its not too hard to log in to the Vodafone website and read your bill each month, if your bill is getting close to the allowance call up and increase the allowance again. Same with water meters and electric meters, keep an eye on the bill and query things before they get that bad!
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone orders some bespoke window frames or a staircase, can they demand a cap on how many hours a month the carpenter spends watching videos? Is 60 a bit on the high side?
  • miller wrote: »
    That was my first thought. The bank stops your debit card from working at overdraft limit + x. This is a regulatory failing.

Despite some of the porting issues others have experienced, I am glad I have set my Plusnet SIM to a hard cap of £2 per month over the monthly sub; it also limits any liabilities if things go wrong.

I got G4 Moto smart phone never had smart phone before, how do I put a cap on it not go over £1 month on pay as you go vouchers. Had dreadful problems company after stressful time got it sorted out now, I downloaded their app but scared to let them take over my phone now. :T
  • Pincher wrote: »
    That's why I find streaming Sky Go an insane idea.

I just buy a disposable SIM when I travel.

Get a dual SIM phone, it's great.
    what is a dual sim and can it be used in Moto G4 smart phone please. I
    though you could only use one sim on phone. :T
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    moremore wrote: »
    what is a dual sim and can it be used in Moto G4 smart phone please. I
    though you could only use one sim on phone. :T

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-two-sim-phone-20-best-dual-sim-phones-2017-uk-3511526/

I just buy phones that can take two SIMs, but there seems to be adapters:

http://www.magic-sim.com/

You can land in Tokyo, buy a SIM that's got say three day validity, preloaded with so many minutes, xGB.

I find that my phone insists on using the data allowance from SIM slot 1 only, which is a little annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides