Downshifting to a nicer life...

in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
72 replies 13.6K views

Replies

• Hi MeandO. Hope it all went well today and you're feeling okay. Any move is stressful, try to remember why you have done it and all the positives that come with downsizing. You have the rest of your life to look forward to, being less stressed and tired and being able to spend more time with your son.

We moved last week. Everything still upside down but very happy. Hope you are too
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • jodles16jodles16 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my goodness, you have had such a streeful few months! Well done on holding it all together, your DS will be very proud when he is older and learns all you have done to give him a good life! Working part time sounds like a lovely idea, especially as your motivation is DS!

I imagine today has been stressful, but I hope only a little and you will be having a cuppa/coffee/alcoholic beverage right now!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everybody.

Well, we're in the new house. Moving day turned out to be really quite exciting and a bit of a laugh, thanks to the wonderful removal men and my lovely OH. It all went extremely well.

I've managed to redecorate 2 rooms and onto the third. Just want it done now, it's driving me a bit nuts! I have carpet ordered, lights have been fitted and electrics have been tested. A painter and decorator is coming to give me a quote to re-do the largest bulk of work that needs doing and I have a new door and some replacement windows lined up. It's all hectic and all very expensive, but it will be worth it.

I've also made the first large chunk overpayment of just under £10K to the mortgage and have stashed the rest (and a little more) away to make another 10% overpayment in January.

Can't believe it's finally all happened.
    Mortgage @ March 2019: £107K, Now: £76,990
    Mortgage OP's 2022: £1916.38
    Total OP’s: £5708.07
    Saving pots: £3,970
  • MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year everyone!

Today I've paid another chunk off the mortgage (£6K). Not as much as I would have liked, as it turns out I now need to get the bathroom ripped out and mostly replaced and more window units needed replacing than I had originally thought, so I've had to keep some money back for those.

Now the bulk of the money has gone from downsizing, it's onwards and upwards into saving for overpayments and chipping away at this mortgage. :)
  • edited 6 January 2017 at 11:45AM
    MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 January 2017 at 11:45AM
    This week has been quite productive on the money-saving front.
    I've cancelled my (barely used :o) gym membership; switched energy providers; used a groupon voucher bought last year for a meal out with OH last night and shopped around and saved a lot of money on a couple of things I still needed for the house.

As for savings goals, I currently have an emergency savings pot of £1k which is solely for the house and car, but I'd like to save enough to get this up to £5k eventually. I've learnt that £1k can be swallowed up very quickly when the car breaks down or something goes wrong in the house. I will set up a standing order to transfer money monthly into that, in addition to the £100 I put in there a month anyway.

I also have an overpayments account where I save up to then make mortgage OPs. I haven't quite paid off the 10% I am able to this calendar year, I can pay off approximately another £2k without any fees, so will attempt to do that first and then save any extra in the account ready for next January's big (hopefully;)) overpayment. There's £5.35 in there presently. :rotfl:
  • edited 14 January 2017 at 11:52PM
    MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2017 at 11:52PM
    I've had such a productive day today, doing loads of jobs around the house and some early spring cleaning. I haven't actually set foot out of the house today, which has been nice for a change.

I had a terrible night's sleep, was looking forward to a lie in (my only chance once every two weeks!), but that didn't happen, so I got up early and started on washing mountain that had accumulated. To add to it, I stripped mine and DS's beds, opening all the windows to let in the winter sunshine and let a bit of air through the house. By noon I'd scrubbed the bathroom and shower, fixed the new cord pull in the bathroom, hoovered through, oiled my worktops (they're wooden), dusted throughout, prepped dinner, re-made the beds, cleaned all of the cupboards and kickboards in the kitchen, and done three loads of washing. I was hoping to put ds's shelves up in his room, but ran out of time before he came back from his dad's, so will do that at a later date.
    It felt so good to finally get lots of jobs ticked off.

I also ordered my new bath and panel, to be fitted next couple of months. The bath in this new house needs replacing and we haven't been able to use it since we moved in. I have a local (recommended) plumber lined up to do the work, but I am sourcing the baths and possibly a new shower. I also need to buy tiles, but I can tile most of it myself and save some money.

The bath had an extra 15% off, plus was already on sale, so was under £200 including the panel and delivery. It is a large corner bath as the space I have to fill is rather big, so I'm pleased with that price.

I'm currently having the hall and upstairs redecorated. The labour is proving very costly, but it's not something I could have done myself and it really had to be done. I have the money saved, but I'm hoping it won't take that long to be finished as I'm a bit fed up of constantly having someone else working in the house now, and he's charging me by the day!

My mortgage will drop down to the next £1000 bracket next month, and will actually be down to under £80k. I need to phone up and see how much more I'm able to overpay this year to make it up to the 10% and then make that my next saving goal - on top of getting my emergency savings pot back up to 5k.

Think I have my work cut out!
  • I've just read your whole thread. A tough year you've had! Abd you have come through it. Enjoy your new home! I'm sure you'll be settled in in no time at all.
  • happydays_70happydays_70 Forumite
    285 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Just read your whole thread. Hope you've settled into your new home. My story is similar. I moved on 9/12. It was emotional but the benefits of a smaller mortgage keep me motivated.
    I need to do some work on this house but I haven't even started that yet. I just wanted to live in it first. Every room needs something doing but I'm OK with that. I am looking forward to it. I couldn't afford to change anything in the old house as the mortgage was so expensive.
    I will be reading your thread to keep up with how you are doing.
    Mortgage 22 years £190,419 at 2.84% fixed for 2 years from 1st July 2014

Mortgage 21 yrs 6 mths £186,059 as of February 2015

Mortgage 20 years 7 months £178,644.68 February 2016
  • MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello newbiesaver55 and happydays, thanks for popping by.

happydays, the smaller mortgage is definitely a plus point isn't it. I think it's a good idea to spend a bit of time in your new house before decorating. I need to do a few more rooms, but they will have to wait. I only tackled the bits that were absolutely essential to make it our home - they were costly enough!

Had a bit of a shock last night after finding out some work I'm having done is going to cost around £400 - £500 more than I'd anticipated. :eek: Thankfully, I have the money in the bank, but I'd earmarked that to do the bathroom, so I will have to scale back plans on that for now and just tackle the essentials.

I made a fresh start on YNAB last night. I really need to stick to this budget now the funds from the house downsize are all allocated for various costs I have coming up, after which, there will be very little, if any, left. The budget looks do-able though and I'm hoping I will be able to gradually build up my savings again and making more regular OPs to the mortgage.

I've rounded up the mortgage to £400pm (is set at around £382), every little helps and all that!

Now to keep to the budget until payday.
  • MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The wanderer returns... :o

It's been a full on 4 months of DIY and having stuff done in the house and I am exhausted with it all tbh. Good news is, the house is looking a lot better and is very VERY slowly starting to feel like home although I'm not entirely sure if I'll ever find that place again that truly feels like home.

The new door is yet to be installed, but I have the money saved for it and for the balance on the windows. A couple more have since blown though so I need to get those replaced too. :mad:

The bathroom is half done. It turned into a complete (and very expensive) nightmare, but I have someone lined up to quote for putting a new shower in and finishing the rest off for me. It's perfectly useable anyway at the moment, just doesn't look very good. :o

I've been working on the garden and now that's a nicer place to be. I have some vegetable seeds growing so hopefully we'll have an abundance of free food come the summer months. :)

So, with all of the above, finances are pretty dire. :o:(
    The leftover savings will be sucked up by the doors & windows when I pay for those and I'm trying to save what I can to cover the rest of the bathroom whilst still building my car & house emergency pot up.
    The car needs two need tyres this week, so that will be just over £100, leaving around £200 in the emergency pot so I need to build that up again.

I've been ebaying and selling stuff locally as and when I find things worthy of listing. I've made a fair bit in the past month or so, but it has quickly gone on house improvements.

I've also gone back to doing surveys for a little extra cash. I thought I'd never do that again, but so far I've actually been quite enjoying it. I'm almost at £20 on one and £15 on another so that's quite good for not much effort.

Oh, and I'm still up to date on YNAB, but all it's doing for me atm is telling me I spend to much. Unfortunately it's not making me change my ways yet! :o
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides