HELP! Legal proceedings against me for someone else's PCN

edited 31 December 2016 at 12:27PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
40 replies 5.8K views
LeedsGirl94LeedsGirl94 Forumite
38 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
edited 31 December 2016 at 12:27PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice please. 6 months ago a law firm sent me a letter about a PCN I apparently received for being 'stopped on a roadway where stopping is prohibited' at Robin Hood Airport. However I never received a PCN and the car registration they are quoting is not, nor has it ever been, mine. Last year I told them this and spoke to the DVLA who said they would check the details and I should just ignore the letter.

Now six months on I received the same letter earlier this month again which suggests if I don't pay up then I will be taken to court. I meant to respond to the first letter however with Christmas being so busy I forgot. Today I have received another letter stating I cannot now dispute the PCN and now have 17 days to pay the full amount or be subjected to CC proceedings.

I am obviously not going to pay since this isn't my car nor is it my PCN. I've not even been to Robin Hood Airport. I've no idea how they've gotten my name and address but I'm getting very frustrated.

What should I do next?

Many thanks in advance of any assistance

Replies

• peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they offer any pictures of the "offending" vehicle? Be interesting what it is. Stern letter to the "law firm" repeating that you have never been to the airport, have never owned the car and to leave you alone.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let them take you to court and when they lose, you can take them to the cleaners.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • edited 31 December 2016 at 12:41PM
    LeedsGirl94LeedsGirl94 Forumite
    38 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 31 December 2016 at 12:41PM
    Thanks Peter for your prompt response, I am sending them a very stern email right now reiterating this is not my vehicle, never driven by me, never received a PCN and never been to the airport. I am also forwarding them my email from back in April in which I told them I deem these letters to be harassment.

Unfortunately they have provided no evidence of the contravention, they only included the details which allow me to go and pay the amount on the law firms website.

Best Wishes
  • pappa_golfpappa_golf Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    who is the solicitor , and what is the address or company that payment has to be made too
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • hoohoohoohoo Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    who is the solicitor , and what is the address or company that payment has to be made too

BW Legal and VCS.

There has obviously been a breach of the data protection act here so I would file a claim against VCS. Start with a letter before claim.

My name and address information (together with other information) is classified as personal data within the meaning of s1(1) of the Data Protections Act (DPA). You are misusing this data by attempting to claim a charge is do when no lawful reason exists. I have never owned, been the keeper of or driven the vehicle in question, or been to Robin Hood Airport.

This is therefore a breach of data principle 1 (data must be used lawfully).

The case of Vidal-Hall v Google Inc [2014] EWHC 13 (QB) provides authority that misuse of personal data is a tort and that damages may be non-pecuniary. The case of Halliday v Creation Consumer Finance Ltd [2013] All ER (D) 199 provides authority that a reasonable sum for compensation would be £750.

The case of VCS v Phillip, claim number C9DP2D6C Liverpool 07/12/2016, while not binding, concerns a motorist sent a parking charge which was not valid. The judge awarded £250 for a DPA breach. This is therefore a persuasive case that a DPA breach occurs when a parking charge is not legitimately pursued, and that a sum of at least £250 is compensation for pursuing a purported parking charge when there is no reasonable prospect of success.

In this situation your harassment has continue despite being informed I have never owned this vehicle, and I consider £500 to be appropriate.

Please therefore remit the sum of £500 to myself 14 days. I will accept this sum in full and final compensation for the matter. I reserve the right to take legal action without further notice if this amount is not paid.

I am willing to use alternative dispute resolution to attempt to settle this dispute and suggest the Consumer Ombudsman is a suitable body
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might wish to mention CPR27.14(2)(g) unreasonable behaviour, and Vidal-hall v Google

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part27

https://www.burges-salmon.com/news-and-insight/legal-updates/damages-for-distressed-data-subjects-google-withdraws-its-appeal/

Also, complain to the SRA re lack of due diligence.

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor.page

you hold all the winning cards here, use them.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • pappa_golf wrote: »

The solicitor is BW legal and the payment is to be made directly through their website, it says they are pursuing the charge on behalf of Vehicle Control Services Limited

They've given no other details about the PCN whatsoever and I was never sent a PCN, only these letters
  • The_Deep wrote: »
    You might wish to mention CPR27.14(2)(g) unreasonable behaviour, and Vidal-hall v Google
    you hold all the winning cards here, use them.

Thank you so much for taking the time to send these links, I will read them through thoroughly now!
  • hoohoo wrote: »
    BW Legal and VCS.

There has obviously been a breach of the data protection act here so I would file a claim against VCS. Start with a letter before claim. [/I]

You're amazing, thank you so much! How did you know who the companies were?
  • pappa_golfpappa_golf Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're amazing, thank you so much! How did you know who the companies were?

perhaps we recognise the scam
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals